Notre-Dame Cathedral-Basilica


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ottawa
November 10th 2014
Published: November 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Ottawa has many beautiful places of worship, representing many faiths and denominations. Probably the most splendid of all is the Cathedral-Basilica of our Lady (Notre-Dame). It’s small by European standards, but the interior is a real gem of devotion and craftsmanship.

Construction began in 1841 on the site of an earlier small wooden church. “Bytown” (Ottawa’s first name) had only a small population at that time and the parishioners were only able to start on what would eventually become a great edifice. The initial work continued for 24 years and, although it was far from completed inside, the church was designated a cathedral in 1847. It was raised to basilica status in 1879.

Work proceeded gradually, done mostly by distinguished Canadian artisans, with occasional foreign help. Casavant installed the first organ in 1850, and eight years later the church’s 180’ (55+m) twin spires were added. In 1862 the present sanctuary was built, and work began on the high altar, the reredos behind it, and complementary sculptures. In 1865 a statue of Mary and Jesus was placed between the spires. The next decade produced the balconies, columns, and vaulted ceiling. Stained glass windows – including the spectacular one above the entrance -- were added by a British master craftsman. In the 1880s the main altar and the Immaculate Conception side altar were finished. By the time the cathedral was a century old electricity had been installed throughout (1933).

Between 1956 and 1961, seventeen of the original geometric stained glass windows were replaced by artistic-didactic ones portraying key moments in Christ’s and the Virgin’s life. They were created by Montrealer Guido Nincheri, one of the 20th century’s foremost stained glass artists. The church has two of Casavant’s finest pipe organs, with a total of 68 stops and some 4,700 pipes.

By the end of the 20th century, it became obvious that serious renovations were needed, including major structural repairs to the roof and the steeples. The interior was starting to look shabby, and it was decided to restore it to its former resplendent glory inside and out. This was an enormous undertaking: the repairing and recovering of the steeples alone took 18 man-years of labour over a two-year period. The newly renovated interior may be a bit overwhelming for some people’s taste, but the overall result is a masterpiece that should be good for at least another century.

My photos give only a small glimpse of the many treasures to be found in this magnificent building. For absolutely complete details, go to: http://www.notredameottawa.com and click on your preferred language.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb