Canada; Niagara & Tpronto


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Niagara Falls
October 14th 2008
Published: October 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So we are on our way. Kindly taken by Robin to Heathrow, but it was a bit over the top of him to wear a suit and tie ! And he did go on about Cyprus all the way round the M25.

Anyway we get to Toronto and jump in a car for the 2 hour journey to Niagara, only for us to hit the local rush hour and a traffic jam. But when we got to the hotel and opened the curtains - wow - the view of the Horseshoe Falls lit up at night was amazing.

Up early the next day - we were first in the queue for the Maid of the Mist, one of 3 boats that travel to the base of the falls. On with our blue ponchos we get on a boat and get a good spot at the front and off we go. Past the American Falls which are impressive and then into the mist and spray at the base of the Horseshoe Falls. The downpour of water is so great the boat can only get so far before it is stalled by the current, but by that time we are well into the spray zone and getting very wet !

After that we went for a Walk Beneath the Falls. On with fetching yellow ponchos and down a lift shaft to the base of the falls. There is a viewing platform to one side (yes you get wet again) which gives a real impression of the power of the water cascading down. Then into a tunnel that brings you to an opening behind the waterfall - very impressive.

So its midday and we stroll along the top of the falls just watching the water going over.

Next day we are up early for the 06.35 commuter train to Toronto. British Rail it isnt. This train is big - helped up the steps by a conductor we settle into our large reclining seats with lots of leg room. Nice.

Off sightseeing in Toronto. First stop CN Tower, where we opt to go right up to the Skypod at the top. The views were brilliant as it was a clear day. Sue stood on the glass floor !

We then decided to catch a ferry to the islands. These are a group of interconnecting islands in Ontario Lake Bay. We landed at Wards and had a very nice 5km walk round the islands to the other end. Unfortunately it was off season and most things on the island were shut down, even the clothing optional beach was empty - shame - though we did see a Cormorant on a rock and a flock of Bluejays (bright blue woodpecker style birds).

We are in a nice hotel and that night decide to eat in their restaurant on the 38th floor, great food and a view which looked over the Toroto skyline at night. We watched the light show travel up and down the CN Tower - great. Tomorrow we are off to Fiji - long journey, but looking forward to it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb