return to Nova Scotia


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Lunenburg
August 30th 2016
Published: August 31st 2016
Edit Blog Post

interesting fowlinteresting fowlinteresting fowl

These three photos were taken at the Shubenkadia Wildlife Park, near Halifax, NS.
Bob and I returned to Nova Scotia from Newfoundland via the Port aux Basque Ferry in southwest Newfoundland, a 5 hour ride (give or take) to Halifax, NS. Our first small adventure was to re-visit the Shubenkadia Wildlife Park. You'll see photos of a cute little moose and two peculiar looking fowl I took at the Park.

We first travelled to Nova Scotia 15 years ago. We think this was our 7th trip. It's a delightful and interesting Province to spend some time and the Scotians (?) are universally friendly, courteous, and kind.

The photo of the bridge piling is in the Bay of Fundy area which has the highest tides in the world, usually over 50 feet. Imagine something like that happening in your back yard twice every 24+ hours.

We then began our way south. Our next stop was Peggy's Cove, possibly the most visited spot in NS. I think a lot of tour buses make the Cove a stop, calling it a picturesque "must see" old fishing village. Actually, we've seen several more picturesque fishing villages; fortunately for these villages, they're not well known. Peggy's Cove has become somewhat commercial as you're driving into the cove area. Too bad.

Next to see was the memorial to the people who perished when a Swiss Air jet fell into the ocean in 1998 not far from Peggy's Cove. The tremendous hospitality and care the people from nearby villages showed the family members of the survivors, taking them into their homes and doing all they could to help the grief stricken families, become widely known and admired. A short version of what happened is written on the memorial stone. If you have trouble reading it, press CONTROL & + to make the photo bigger.

Further down the east coast is Mahoney Bay, one of our two favorite towns in Nova Scotia. The other is Lunenburg, just a half hour further south. The two colorful houses are in Mahoney Bay. The next blog will be more photos of those two towns, including our sail on the tall ship The Bluenose II.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.445s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 67; dbt: 0.3105s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb