Halifax and on to Lunenburg


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Lunenburg
September 11th 2019
Published: September 11th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Our day in Halifax turned out pretty good. The weather cooperated, as it was mostly sunny and about 70 degrees. We drove over and toured the Citadel, which sits on a large hill overlooking the city and the harbor. The present configuration is the fourth one built. There has been a building there since the 16th century. After that we drove over to Fishermans Cove Village. It was supposed to be a cute village, but was mainly a bunch of shops. We then stopped at Fairview Lawn Cemetery. It contains the graves of about 250 of the Titanic victims. Many of them just have a number on them. The numbers represent the order in which they were pulled out of the water.

Today, we drove from Halifax to Shelley's Cove. It is a very picturesque village on the North Atlantic, complete with a lighthouse. After that, we stopped at Mahone's Bay, another nice village. It has 3 churches of different denominations built next to each other in a row. Then on to Lunenburg, another cute village, complete with 3 old sailing ships in its harbor.

We had a little rain today, but not much. The people here are very nice and very helpful. After the hurricane passed, scores of people came out and volunteered to rake leaves and debris from neighbors yards and local parks.

We took a moment to remember 9-11 today, also.

Tomorrow we head for Yarmouth for 2 nights.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Firing of the gunFiring of the gun
Firing of the gun

Every day at precisely noon, they fire this 7" cannon. They have done this every day since the middle 1800's.
Bagpiper at the CitadelBagpiper at the Citadel
Bagpiper at the Citadel

Both bagpipers were girls.


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb