North Preston: How they do...


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Halifax
September 3rd 2006
Published: September 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Tru pimpsTru pimpsTru pimps

My younger brothers and I with Unlce Mark leaning on a Chevy Impala - 'Nuff said...
This is my first entry folks, so bear with me. It's Sunday morning, and I'm at my laptop setting to words one hell of an experience in North Preston, Nova Scotia. North Preston is an "all Black" community in Nova Scotia; an old friend from Brooklyn got married to a born-and-bred Nova Scotian yesterday. And what a wedding it was!

Gerald told me his wedding was in Nova Scotia, and that he was marrying a native - and I asked him, "There are Black people in Nova Scotia?" And congratulated him on the nuptials too. Turns out there are, and they are the descendants of African slaves escaped from the States. They stayed up North, and built something. Now, 70% of Blacks in Canada are of Caribbean decent, so there are cultural differences from these folks, but one essential thing is the same -the will to build against backbreaking odds.

The groom, Gerald, and the bride, Peaches, were surrounded by both his and her family - it was a love fest! Every-single one of her thousands of uncles and aunts were incredibly gracious hosts, and inaugurated us as family.

While we were taking the wedding photos one of
The DriveThe DriveThe Drive

Peaches' Uncles love to "drive weddings". They each polish their very expensive cars and drive members of the wedding party to various locations. The wedding party tours the neighborhod with horn honking and waves to the people lining the sidewalks.
Peaches' three thousand Uncles walked over to me and said, "Go back and tell them this is how we do in North Preston." Holla!



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

How many people in the wedding party again?How many people in the wedding party again?
How many people in the wedding party again?

This wedding had nine women and nine men in the wedding party, plus the kids. And this was nothing according to the family. There were three family weddings this weekend alone.


8th September 2006

I like the white suits!
9th September 2006

Niiiiiiiiiice!
Awesome blog! And this coming from the man who told ME not to blog!;) Great shots, beautiful people and I especially love the shot of you, your bros and Uncle there! Sweet!
11th September 2006

You should get a yellow suit, like Uncle Mark
11th September 2006

Wow, more pics please
Sleigh, Very nice but talk about a tease. This is some cultural information that went by me so now I want more info ---- get back to work and fill it out, man! Signed, Waiting.....
13th September 2006

Thanks for sharing
Hey Shane- this is great!! When my husband and I went to Stockholm we had a similar reaction- its funny where you find multiculturalism huh? But really, do retroactive travel blogs count? I mean what happens to the moment when you wait to put it out there? hmmmmmm
15th September 2006

travel blog
very good shane i really enjoyed it.

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb