Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Halifax
September 14th 2014
Published: September 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We have our RV parked here in Cap-Pele, New Brunswick. We take day trips in our cars. We brought our truck and Glen and Glenda brought their car. Yesterday we took a trip to Nova Scotia. Nova Scotia has around 900,000 people. Its capital is Halifax. We traveled along the southern coast to Peggy's Cove which is about 30 miles from Halifax. Beautiful drive. Peggy's Cove is a small settlement. According to legend, the name Peggy's Cove came when a ship was wrecked on rocks near the lighthouse. Everyone was lost except a woman who managed to swim ashore and was rescued. Her name was Margaret. Another version of the story of the name is that Peggy's Cove is situated at the entrance to St. Margaret's Bay. So the name Margaret's Cove was shortened to Peggy's cove. It is a beautiful place. The lighthouse was built in 1914 to replace the old wooden one. It stands on large rocks. The rocks have been polished by the wind and water over the years. There were two weddings when we were there. It was very windy but sunny and beautiful. I noticed that in Nova Scotia that the road signs and other signs were in English. Even the menu in Wendy's was in English. Fishing is a big industry near Nova Scotia. Lobster are caught all year round. But, there are closed seasons to protect production in the different counties of the Province. The lobster season in Halifax County is open from December 1, to May 31. Lobsters from the Atlantic provides 90% of the world supply. They also fish for Cod, Haddock and other varieties of fish. We drove to Halifax. We wanted to take a walk on the boardwalk but the parking is hard to find there, so we took the bridge across the inlet. Then we took a short ferry ride to the Halifax harbor. There are shops and restaurants there. Also, we saw two more weddings there along the boardwalk. I think we attract weddings. There was an ice cream shop there named Cows. We had supper there at a restaurant on the boardwalk. I had fresh Atlantic salmon, stuffed with cheese and lobster..delicious. We took the ferry back and started back. It was a long trip. It is about 150 miles from Halifax to our RV park. It was even longer because we had a GPS malfunction and ended up on a dirt road out in the middle of nowhere. The longer that we drove on the road, the narrower it got. Finally, when we got to a part of the road that was full of water and ruts, we decided that maybe we should turn around. We finally managed to get our GPS systems to work and got home about 11 last night. Needless to say, I was too tired to type the blog last night. This morning it was raining. We went to church. It was in French. Even though we couldn't understand the language, the music was beautiful. We had lunch and then went to the grocery. This afternoon, we decided to drive to Prince Edward Island. We drove across a bridge that is nearly 8 miles long. Prince Edward Island, or also known as P.E.I., has a population of 135,000. We drove to the capital, Charlottetown. The landscape is hilly in places with trees like in New Brunswick. It has very red soil but Jim thinks it must be sandy as they grow lots of potatoes. We stopped at the Cows ice cream factory. I mentioned that I had seen a Cows shop yesterday. We had ice cream..very good. I believe that Cows is the ice cream of Canada. Then we headed back. As I said before, we came across the bridge. We knew that it was a toll bridge. We couldn't believe the toll..$45.00 for one car. I think that is highway robbery, or maybe I should say "bridge robbery". Near the ice cream shop, there was a chocolate shop called Anne of Green Gables Chocolates. The book "Anne of Green Gables" was written by Lucy Maud Montgomery who was born on Nov. 30, 1874 on Prince Edward Island. According to the young lady in the chocolate shop, she later moved to Ontario, but based the setting for her book on her home on Prince Edward Island. When we were in the shop, the young lady also said that Prince Edward Island was the birthplace of the Canadian Confederation. The first meeting to discuss the confederation was held there on Sept. 1, 1864. But, the actual Canadian Confederation took place on July 1, 1867. Originally, just four provinces joined the Confederation: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Ontario and Quebec. There are now 10 provinces and three territories in Canada.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



15th September 2014

Excellent Blog Entry!
Nice! I especially liked the part about Anne of Green Gables and the "bridge" robbery!
15th September 2014

Dear Marylin ,we were also on the road and could not open you travelblog every day.Except for Prince Edward Island we have also been at all the places you visited.These are unforgettable trips. keep it up,life is short.Best wishes to You and Jim, Horst

Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.079s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb