Cruise Sept 30/ Oct 1


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Halifax
October 3rd 2013
Published: October 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Monday:A hazy day welcomed us in Halifax. The City is set up for cruise ships with well signed historic trails that offered the weary walker ample places to linger and read informative plaques. We took in the seafront before turning inland and venturing off-piste. Shock, horror, we stumbled across Anne's Cafe that offered damned strong coffee. Fortified, we climbed up to the Citadel, strolled through a delightful park and ambled back through the city. As ever, www access on-board is tres expensive and so we took advantage of the free wi-fi in a so-called farmer's market to scan our emails. Entertainment in the evening was again good consisting of a comedian, Cynthia MacLeod Trio (folk) and a pretty laid back Jazz sextet. The excitement was not quite over - a rather choppy sea made for an interesting 30 minutes before tiredness won the day.

Tuesday: On a dry day, St Johns hasn't much to offer, except maybe boasting the highest tide differential on the planet. We moored up on a wet miserable day, drats!! We made the most of it, got the kagools out and decided to look around the town. JC's enthusiasm for churches (and particularly their dry interiors) was commendable - the excitement continued, we also wandered around an indoor market and then a series of shopping malls connected by a series of indoor walkways. As the time for leaving port approached so did the blue skies - c'est la vie!! We opted to dine in the Blue Lagoon (Comfort Food) instead of the so-called formal dining room - 'formal' here prohibits shorts, singlets and sandals, somewhere short of smart casual in dress code back home. Anyway we were served burger & fries (JC) and fish & fries (Kate) - any slight disappointment over quality was easily made up for by the best pud of the cruise so far, New York Cheesecake!! Another mixture of music was served up for us - a vocal guitarist with a liking for John Denver music, the 'show' that included short soundbites from an odd mixture of musicals (like the Jersey Boys) to a Motown Greatest Hits montage, and lastly we caught a heel stomping 30 minutes of jigs from the folk trio.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



5th October 2013

Hello
Just returned from judging in Holland and a couple of days in Brussels so time to catch up on your blog? You definitely seem to be enjoying yourselves and I am learning from my armchair more about America. Look forward to the next episode. Love Joy

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb