Wet day In Halifax


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Halifax
September 3rd 2013
Published: September 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Wet day indeed. When we woke up the rain was pouring off the roof and onto the canopy outside of the entrance of the hotel. The chance of breakfast on the patio beside the lake was out of the question. It was a warm day though around 20 degrees with warm rain. We decided to make a late start and after some shopping in a local Walmart we ventured to PIER 21. This is part of the Cunard Ferry terminal buildings. It is where the immigrants landed first in Canad. The museum was set up with information boards and pictures of the new immigrants landing with their possessions. The terminal was the gateway to Canada for many Europeans who suffered during the second world war, or suffered religious persecution. The stories of the evacuees from UK figured in the stories told. We were not aware of the hardships that young people endured working from 4-00am until 11-00pm on the farms. Religious organizations helped many get a start in life again after leaving all behind them after the second world war.

The life of an immigration officer told the story of the immigrants and their long waits in halls on wooden benches, most accepted for immigration but many sent homer as they did not have a trade or a sponsor or even any money.



Pier 21 was the staging post for Canadian troops entering the second world war and the port to which they returned. Even the islands in the Halifax harbor had anti aircraft guns on them. One German submarine did enter the harbor during the war.

Now early evening the rain is still pouring down, been like this most of the summer they tell us.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.076s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb