Cabot Trail


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Cape Breton » North Sydney
September 4th 2016
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 46.2148, -60.2445

The Cabot Trail is basically a day trip unless you choose to do various hikes which can add a lot of time (days).

The scenery is very impressive. Significant changes in elevation from ocean level to the plateau area (approx 350m).

The lunch restaurant was recommended to us by a young couple last night and the food was excellent.

We visited the beach which is said to be the place where Cabot landed. The beach was sandy and was a better landing site than many of the rocky beaches.

The sign along the way said Meat Cove was the northern most point so we travelled several spine jolting roads to get there. Definitely remote and one wonders about the motivation to live there.

Along the road we saw a sign for Dingwall Lighthouse so took a short diversion. The lighthouse there was originally on St. Paul Island. It was relocated to Halifax and eventually returned to Dingwall which is close to the island.

St. Paul island was the site of many ship wrecks, some of the wrecks are stacked on each other in the water. To the locals it is a graveyard.

By now it is getting later in the day so we headed for our hotel in New Sydney. We are not going to Newfoundland but our hotel looks out at the location of the ferry terminal.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0713s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb