Louisbourg, Nova Scotia, 30 August 2016


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Cape Breton » Louisbourg
August 30th 2016
Published: September 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Louisbourg, Nova Scotia, 30 August 2016



Our hotel the Louisbourg Fortress Inn also had a nice restaurant so after a tipple of malbec in our hotel room we had dinner over more great conversation.



The next morning after packing up, we headed for the highlight of this historic town of Louisbourg.



The Fortress of Louisbourg located about a half hour's drive away, is a reconstruction of the 18th century fortified French town whose presence plagued the British colonies of New England. From 2005 they have rebuilt the Fortress City from scratch. Many archaeological digs have occurred over the decades and 1000s of pieces of information uncovered, facilitating the reconstruction of some of the life of the people of the 18th century fortified city.



We were bussed to the fortress from the large Visitor’s Centre. After walking along a gravel path we were met by a gentleman dressed in clothing of the 18th century. We quickly learned that all the people of the ‘çity’ were dressed from that era and constantly acted out their 18th century role. So the gentleman at the entrance with his musket blocking the way said “who are you?” I told him I was from Australia. He said he had never heard of it, which was true for the 1700s. He was acting out as a French officer who was at war with the English. He did it well!



Throughout the complex, people in costumes were acting out their role in the blacksmith shop, Governor’s residence, engineers house etc. etc. They even fired one of the guns as well as did a drumming event to call everyone together. It was very well done.



We learned that the holding of the Fortress changed hands between the English and French several times. It served the protection of the Canadian coast successfully. After 2 hours, we caught the bus back to the Visitor’s Centre with many images in our cameras.


Additional photos below
Photos: 83, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 34; dbt: 0.092s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb