Is Traveling Good for My Health?


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Argyle
March 8th 2020
Published: March 8th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Travelling is one of the most richly awarding experiences that allows you to remove yourself from the stresses of daily life. Whether you’re heading to the beach for the weekend or on a year-long global backpacking adventure, travel can change your life. Most people make the assumption that traveling must be good for health because of its intrinsic benefits. However, is travel good for you?


It will please you to know that the next time you travel you will give your health a boost. That’s because travel allows you to broaden your horizons, enjoy new things, and create memories that last a lifetime. Health and personal benefits drawn from travel include increasing cognitive intelligence, relieving stress, and transforming your outlook on life.


Technology has also played a part in making travel as stress-free as possible. Planning a trip – no matter how elaborate your vacation is – is a simple process that you can do online. You can book hotels online, while websites like FlightHub make finding an affordable flight easy. Before you leave, you can organize excursions and activities at a location online.


Travel and Mental Health


For many travelers, the whole point of going on vacation is to relax and remove the stresses of daily life, at least for a short time. That does not mean you need to head to a hotel spa resort to unwind. People have different perceptions of what relaxation is. For some, it may be a beachside massage, while others may prefer a three-week exploration of the Amazon rainforest.


Either way, many studies have shown travel can dramatically lower stress and can help with managing depression. Even when people return home from travel, they often feel better equipped to deal with the stresses of work and home life. Productivity has also been shown to increase amongst employees who take vacations.


Travel and Overall Health


Travel has a significant impact on overall health. Studies have shown people who travel at least once a year reduce their chances of dying from heart disease compared to those who don’t go on vacation.


However, while travel is positive for your overall health, there are some caveats you should remember. Traveling can be harmful to your health because some situations pose obvious risks. For example, if there is an outbreak of a virus in a specific country, travelling to that place could put your health at risk.


This would be your own choice rather than travel being inherently harmful to your health.


Preparing well for a vacation is important to avoid these problems arising. Some countries require you to have a vaccination before visiting. It is essential that you research health risks in any country you visit and take the precautions before leaving.


Travel and Relationships


Providing you travel with family and friends or have their support to go alone, travel can have a positive impact on your personal relationships. When people travel together, they often report their relationship became stronger as they shared more experiences. When a loved one travels alone, they often come back enriched and can often be noticeably more relaxed and open-minded.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1081s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb