The DEH CHO


Advertisement
Published: September 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

3rd Night Camp3rd Night Camp3rd Night Camp

Enjoying the Sunset After a Tough Day on the Water
Words cannot begin to describe what has happened on my trip thus far, alas photos also do not capture the true essence of each situation but I will do my best to share my experiences.



I left Hay River on friday with much excitement and optimism. I had picked up a paddling buddy- my friend Jenn - who had managed to get time off work and was with me for the first 4 days of my trip.

Our double kayak was loaded up with supplies and gear and we were off. I was so pumped to be finally going after all the talk and hassle getting the trip organized!

We had awesome weather and managed to find great campsites for each night despite being in a huge swamp. Midnight paddling and beautiful calm waters were themes of the weekend and setting up the tent in the twilight while getting hammered by mosquitoes the size of a 20 cent peice.

We had a bear visit during dinner on the first night which meant that we moved from our camp in the swamp and found an island that proved to be excellent. After putting up tent
Storms a BrewingStorms a BrewingStorms a Brewing

Jenn Checking Out the Clouds on Beaver Lake
for the second time that day, we were surrounded by flying insects (for once ones that didn’t bite) and as the sun set I had a swim. MAGIC!

The second night proved true to the theme - no solid ground after a big day of paddling. The decision was made to cross the lake in search of a campsite. 10pm, no wind, over 15km of open water to cross, sun setting, tired bodies, no food since lunch, the scene was set for an epic!

Questions were the name of the game for the first part of this evening as we occupied ourselves and got to know each other better but fatigue slowly took hold and we were tested both physically and mentally. Singing soon became the past time of choice to lift the spirits and take our minds off the task at hand.

On reaching the chosen area to look for a campsite we had to paddle up a fast flowing stream and just above the trees in the dusk was an old trapper's cabin on the only high ground in kilometres. The moment could only be described as spiritual.

So a great site was found
Crossing Beaver LakeCrossing Beaver LakeCrossing Beaver Lake

This shot was taken at about 9:30pm
(with plenty of mosquitoes, just for a change) and by 12:30am our tent was up. As soon as we got under shelter the clouds came to life and we just escaped the biggest rain shower of the summer. Definetly a thunder and lightening show that no amount of money could buy. An hour earlier and it could have been very ugly for us!

The rest of the trip went smoothly and we reached our destination on time. It was incredible to see the flow of the river change as the lake became a river and at one stage we got upto 17km/h.

Jenn got picked up in Fort Providence and my single kayak arrived for me to continue the rest of the trip with. After a sad farewell i put my tent up on the lawn in town and wondered why i was surrounded by cow patts...

I woke the next morning to discover the culprit about 40m from my tent casually munching on the grass. It was the biggest animal i have ever seen - an adult male bison! WIKID!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Smile If Your Having FunSmile If Your Having Fun
Smile If Your Having Fun

Jenn Enjoying the Action on Day 2
Jenn and IJenn and I
Jenn and I

A happy pair on reaching Ft Providence


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb