Heart's Content, Newfoundland


Advertisement
Published: June 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We start this entry with the beautiful, yet chilly view from the backyard of our house (Ocean's Nest) in Heart's Content, NL, population 300. The maximum daytime high was 12 degrees, so we were seeking out indoor activities.

This leads us to the next picture of us in the cable station practicing our Morse code. The first 3 trans-Atlantic cables between the new world and the old world came ashore in Hearts Content, which is the town's claim to fame.

After lunch we went to see some hookers and caused quite a stir in the sleepy little town. They turned out to be two women in their seventies and hooking is apparently a craft which involves pulling little colored pieces of fabric through burlap sacks in an artistic fashion. Bob was somewhat disappointed.

We had to hurry home by 3 o'clock to meet our special dinner guests (5 X 1.5 lbs lobsters) that Tara from the cable museum arranged to have delivered to Ocean's nest. They were very good company but didn't survive their encounter with us.

The following day we attempted to burn off some of the calories from the previous night's indulgence, but were continuously
Morse Code OperatorsMorse Code OperatorsMorse Code Operators

Bill and Rob sending a message to each other circa 1850.
thwarted by mother nature in the form of liquid 'sunshine'. Instead we piled into the car and made a trip to two closed museums in Cabonear. Apparently these museums are staffed by high school students, who happen to rather rudely still be in their classes at this time of year. This trip was not in vain, however because we managed to secure about 4 pounds of fresh fresh cod fish, locally smoked salmon, as well as the smoked Caplins pictured. As an interesting aside the Caplins are the small fish whose annual arrival attracts seabirds by the millions as well as several species of whales. That is your science quota filled for today! Bye for now!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

CraftsCrafts
Crafts

Bill is acquiring a new career hooking. Rugs that is.
Lobster abuseLobster abuse
Lobster abuse

Unfortunately Ocean Nest did not have tools for cracking open the lobsters, so Bob attacked them with the kitchen knife.
Ocean NestOcean Nest
Ocean Nest

Queen Victoria in the hallway of our Victorian digs.
Fine DiningFine Dining
Fine Dining

There's nothing like a good feed of fresh lobster.
SuburbsSuburbs
Suburbs

Elizabeth May would approve of the laundry drying on the line behind Bob.
Barber shopBarber shop
Barber shop

It's the lighthouse at Heart's Content harbour, but to we landlubbers it looks like a.....
Fishing boatsFishing boats
Fishing boats

Could it be more maritime than this?
Treasure ChestTreasure Chest
Treasure Chest

This was our source of FRESH cod. Mmmmmm good. Also smoked salmon and smoked kaplin.
Smoked kaplinSmoked kaplin
Smoked kaplin

A Newfoundland specialty. Eat whole. Very smoky and salty.
Cod feastCod feast
Cod feast

The chefs, Rob and Bill, created a fantastic meal with the fresh cod. A lot of cod!


19th June 2011

Newfie's best
Did you have some screech already? If not, you must try it. By the way I was in St.Johns in 1972 and again in 1978 attending the College of Fisheries. I don't know if that still exists, but it was on the East Side of the Harbor on Southside Road. I have taken their School ship a few times through the Narrows.
20th June 2011

Enjoying your newfie pics. We have almost the same picture of old St. Johns. Glad see the diet is improving from fries, stuffing and gravy to lobster and Cod. I'd leave the kaplin for the whales. Sorry about the weather but that's the way it is on the rock.

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb