Last days in Newfoundland


Advertisement
Published: August 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

St John's




St. John’s Geo Center provided us with an outstanding learning experience. The geology of Newfoundland as told by the rocks. The center also houses, a comprehensive Titanic exhibit. It tell the “true” story of greed and arrogance that ultimately caused this disaster.
Signa Hill long been used for defense, observation, and communication. The reoccurring pattern of the French and British fighting over lands continues. Unfortunately, we were socked in with fog so no view. One other interesting point, it was here that Marconi received his first trans-Atlantic wireless signal Dec. 12, 1901.
July 18, 2006. Cape Spear National Historic Site is the most easterly point of land in North America.
The lighthouse here has guided mariners in St. John’s Harbor for over 150 years. During WW II a coastal defense battery was constitructed at the tip of the cape. German submarines and raiders posed a considerable threat. One plaque tells how the American and Canadian troops were glad to leave this “cold, foggy, clammy” hill, that too was our brief experience.
On the Irish Loop, on the way to Placentia, we stopped to hike the East Coast Trail,/ La Manche. The trail follows a rocky path out to a large suspended bridge, and the site of a deserted settlement.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0994s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb