Newfoundland Part 2 - The north end of the North Peninsula


Advertisement
Published: September 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We are now at the northeast area of the Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland and camped near St Anthony. It is a fascinating story about how it was discovered that the Vikings had been here more than a 1000 years ago. Our guide at L’Anse Aux Meadows grew up in the area and used to play on the “old Indian mounds” when he was a boy. He remembers the excavation of the site and knew the people involved. He admits that it was better that he and his friends didn’t know what they were playing on, otherwise they probably would have been digging and looking for treasure and gold.

At L’Anse Aux Meadows they have a modern building with artifacts, displays, movies and videos that explain the history of the area. They have the area where mounds were excavated which led to the discovery of the artifacts and the building layouts. The archeological sites have all been re-covered with sod to preserve them for future technology…and this gives one the sense of how it was before the discovery. They also have an area that has some recreated buildings that could have been present during the period of the Norse presence. In the Scandinavian-type sod house they had costumed interpreters.

We learned that in this area various people have lived during the past 5,000 years. The arrival of the Vikings was not without incident. This was a place to repair their ships and not intended as a settlement. It was a venture for goods to take back their homeland.

Norstead is not part of the Canadian park system and is a private enterprise (read as it costs money). It is just about a mile down the road. At L’Anse Aux Meadows they recreated buildings to represent the time period and location here in Newfoundland during the Viking period. The Norstead recreated buildings to represent a Norse village during the time period of 790-1066. Again there were costumed interpreters. Visiting Norstead rounded out the story for me, of that period. I’m glad we did both. Additionally in Norstead they had Snorri which is a replica of a Viking ship. I find it fascinating how things were made before current technology. Especially a vessel that was able to sail the oceans!

For more information on L’Anse Aux Meadows you can check out these websites: http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/nl/meadows/index.aspx

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/4

We’ve decided to
Sculptures placed where fire-pits were foundSculptures placed where fire-pits were foundSculptures placed where fire-pits were found

This was an interesting way to mark where the fire-pits were found. They were from various native groups and dated back thousands of years.
head to Labrador. We’re leaving the car at the port in St Barbe and just taking the RV. See you on the other side of the Straits of Belle Isle.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Us in front of a one of the recreated long houses. Us in front of a one of the recreated long houses.
Us in front of a one of the recreated long houses.

Please note my lovely hair...compliments of the wind...it was standing up all by itself!
Good ventilationGood ventilation
Good ventilation

The doors lined up and one side was on the water side...there was a good breeze through this area of the house.
Bridging the gapBridging the gap
Bridging the gap

This sculpture is symbolic of the first meeting of Europeans and American Indians. After leaving Africa one line of homo sapiens traveled through Europe. Another line traveled through Asia and then the Americas. Circa 1000 AD their human descendants met again near this area, closing a circle around the whole earth!
Loom at L'Anse Aux MeadowsLoom at L'Anse Aux Meadows
Loom at L'Anse Aux Meadows

Rocks were used for the weights.
Loom in Norse VillageLoom in Norse Village
Loom in Norse Village

They have donut shaped weights that were made in the kiln....rather than rocks for weights.
SnorriSnorri
Snorri

This is the replica that was sailed from Greenland by someone recreating the voyage and writing a book. The first attempt didn't work. They needed to make a change in the placement of the rudder because the forces were wrong and broke the rudder.


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb