Following The Viking Trail in Newfoundland


Advertisement
Published: June 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Green Bay to Newfoundland


Harold and I are getting ready for a week-long trip which will take us 2500 miles north and east of home to Newfoundland (NL), Canada. We're going to help the Newfoundlanders celebrate the 1008th anniversary of the Vikings walking on their shores at L'Anse aux Meadows, a Canadian.
Other highlights include Gros Morne National Park, whale watching, birding and if we're lucky we'll see a few icebergs.
Leaving the planning to the experts, we'll join a tour, offered by Wildlands Tours. On June 22 we fly from Green Bay to Detroit to Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Northwest, and after a 4 hour layover we'll finally fly to Deer Lake, NL, via Air Canada. From Deer Lake, the tour company transports us north about 30 miles to Gros Morne National Park, a UN World Heritage Site, where we spend 3 nights.

Some highlights include:

A stop at L'Anse aux Meadows, the site where Norwegian archeologists Helge Ingstad and his wife Anne Stine, excavated ruins which proved that the Vikings established a site in North America.
Red Bay, the Labrador home of over 1,500 Basque whalers during the 1540s.

The northern terminus of the Appalachian Mountains.

Plenty of bird watching and hopefully some whale watching too.

We'll add pictures after we get home. Harold's got a brand new SLR Canon Rebel with a 70-300 foot zoom, so I'm expecting plenty of great shots. Just in case, I'll take my simpler Fuji.

My new equipment for this trip is my very own set of binoculars - hoping to see plenty of whales and birds. Tops on my list is a puffin - the provincial bird of Newfoundland. Their provincial flower is The Pitcher Plant.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb