Cabano, St Jacques Gardens, Grand Falls 21 August 2016


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » New Brunswick » Grand Falls
August 21st 2016
Published: August 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Cabano, St Jacques Gardens, Grand Falls 21 August 2016



After leaving the St-Anne region and the Island of Orleans in the middle of the St Lawrence River we drove south again, through Quebec City again crossing to the east side of the St Lawrence River. We then drove along the Freeway north through Riviere-du-Loup and across to Cabano for the night.



OMG, this accommodation was the most ‘interesting’. We were having some trouble finding accommodation as it was the second last week of Canada’s long summer school holidays and Canadians were obviously squeezing every last opportunity to go away. And as we were booking accommodation no more than 2 days ahead, a lot of the accommodation was booked out. Our hotel in Cabano, which was a very small place, was attached to a caravan park. The rooms were multi coloured, small but had a kitchenette in each room. Outside there were coloured lights and decoration…but with no creative taste. It was quite funny really. Non the less, we slept well.



The next day we had a lovely fruit and croissant for breakfast which we had bought on the Island Orleans. We then headed to St Jacques as we had read of the famous Gardens there. We went straight to the visitors Centre/Café and had a coffee before walking around the beautiful gardens. I hope you enjoy the photos.



We also met a wood sculpture who is in the gardens for July and August. He did some sculpturing for us and it was great to chat to him about his work and his love of wood. He was wheel-chair bound.



It was then onto a town called Grand Falls where there was a thundering waterfall right in the middle of the town. There were more zip lines there.



We went to the Visitors Centre who were fantastic. We even booked a couple of the next night’s accommodation from there and the people working in the Centre were so helpful. We decided to take the boat trip through the gorge.



We drove for about 5kms to get to the boat. We had been lucky because 2 weeks previously, there was no water flowing over the falls. Now it was thundering over it and the water in the gorge was higher.



Our guide Evan was a great guy who loved his work and loved the area he showed us through. Three French Canadians joined us on the flat bottom boat trip too. The current was very strong. We saw the dam next to the hydroelectric plant and learned that all the electricity generated from it was sold to the USA just across the border to Maine etc. We really enjoyed the trip and went as far as some rapids well into the canyon.



From there it was onto Fredericton for the night. We were well and truly in New Brunswick, noticing fuel and many other things were cheaper in the Province.


Additional photos below
Photos: 118, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb