Fish Fry weekend


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » New Brunswick » Fredericton
August 7th 2006
Published: August 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So the weekend that we have been looking forward to all summer has arrived, the long weekend at the cottage! This weekend is a tradition with our extended family; we all gather for a rockus weekend of fishing, horseshoes, golf, visiting, and of course eating. Good times were had by all. Even for Dan although the 79 new faces of our multitude of relatives were somewhat overwhelming. Thanks to all my very generous family members who were very supportive for our cause.
The two weeks up to this point were quite something. Last we checked in was Ottawa. While on the way out of Ottawa we stopped in a at bike shop and met Marc, a friendly frenchman (they DO exist Dave) who was so excited about the idea that he decided to join us! It was great to ride with him for a week, additional bonus in that he is a massage therapist! He taught us all a few things about riding with no hands; the record distance is 4km continuous, WITH hills I might add. Impressive.
The ride throughQuebec was flat and scenic through farmland and small villages until Quebec City. We tried to relearn our rusty french and
A true Quebecois experienceA true Quebecois experienceA true Quebecois experience

On the ferry from St Simeon to Riviere du Loup we tried poutine, a first time for some. Not a recommended meal for pre-riding, that's for sure.
managed to pick up a few more Quebecois slang phrases (some more acceptable than others) while in the province. Dan learned all the important words like, "Excuse me but I don't understand french", and "where is the tiolet?" Too bad he never understands the responses to the latter question though so it is not all that useful. Sticking with the more rudimentary pointing and gestures seemed to work better for him in that regard.
Old Quebec City was like travelling back through time in Europe. We took in some buskers in the street and lounged in a french cafe for a nice break from riding. Thanks to Celine who graciously invited us in the Quebecois spirit to camp in her yard, and, upon smelling us, offered us showers!
Our gratitude goes out also to Bill and Carol-Ann for the conversation, camping spot, beer, and breakfast.
From Quebec City to Saint Simeon we chose to be somewhat masochistic and ride the northern side of the St Lawrence river. There is a reason why they built the trans Canada highway on the southern shore, now I know why. It turns out that 13% grade hills are enough to just about make us
Our biker GangOur biker GangOur biker Gang

This is the whole lot of us who rode together for a week.
tip over backwards. Even walking the hills Dan was sliding backwards on his biking shoes. I was stubborn (and had a lower granny gear) so I refused to walk, but it turned out not to be any faster that walking in the end. We had a deadline to meet in catching the ferry to Riviere-du-Loup which we only just made with four minutes to spare, whew! The rush was because our parents, and Marc, were to meet us there and ride with us for a week. Some vacation for them eh? But with no baggage they were setting a smoking pace so we let them lead into the wind for us! Actually, that week we also met two other riders from Seattle who were on their way across the country and then back to Seattle via the ferry from Yarmouth, NS to Maine. We really enjoyed their company and felt like a biker gang heading down the highway in such a pack. Best of travels, Rene and Bryan. Hope to ride with you again sometime.
Brodie, a friend fro highschool, found room for all of us to crash on his floor in Fredricton. Thanks Brod, it was great to see
Brodie in actionBrodie in actionBrodie in action

A high school friend, Brodie, put us up in Fredricton. This is him as an 18th century peddlar at the King's Landing historic site outside Fredricton.
you and we loved your ADD kitten, except at 4am...
More thanks to the Laltoo's for the garage space and the best banana bread we have ever had, See you in a few days!
The 14 hour car ride back to Ontario for the long weekend made us the stiffest we have been all trip perhaps, possibly due to the fact that there were 6 of us squeezed into a Toyota Matrix, but for this weekend at the cottage, it was worth it. Back on the road on Tuesday, Jenn Heckman, I hope you are ready for us!
If anyone cares to join us for the Nova Scotia section of our trip, we should be in Truro around the 10th or 11th. We would love to have company!
Adios.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Marc's M+M creationMarc's M+M creation
Marc's M+M creation

THis is Marc who rode with us for a week. He was jazzing up the usual peanut butter sandwich with M+M's.
bridge jumpingbridge jumping
bridge jumping

we found a great bridge near fredricton to jump off. Leanne wowed the crowd with her backflips.
Squished in the carSquished in the car
Squished in the car

We somehow managed to squish 8 people in e Toyota Matrix. That must be a record!


Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb