A bit late - woops - final post from the subarctic


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Manitoba » Churchill
July 21st 2017
Published: August 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

What a trip! The belugas were out in the hundreds and the polar bears came out twice to say hello. Overall, an excellent trip. On the final day we had a torrential downpour and we spent the day in town. The museum is small but packed with interesting artifacts, including the narwhal horn which you'll see in the pics. There is definitely a religious presence in town as evidenced by the Anglican church, with the beautiful stained glass windows you'll see in the pics.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Anglican churchAnglican church
Anglican church

Most of the apostles were represented in the church.
Churchill muralsChurchill murals
Churchill murals

All around Churchill there are murals painted on both abandoned and in-use buildings. Given the costs associated with bringing in goods, most run-down buildings are just left to stand in the elements. These murals are a fantastic way to highlight local culture and history and add further interest to the area.
Defunct boat and port in backgroundDefunct boat and port in background
Defunct boat and port in background

Though remote, Churchill has had a significant place in Canadian, and world, history. The port in the background has been a huge asset in the past and continues to be used. We saw a large fueler being tugged in to replenish the community.


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb