Yoho National Park & Field


Advertisement
Published: August 31st 2021
Edit Blog Post

Yoho National Park & Field http://www.heygo.com

In 1886, the Canadian government reserved 10 square miles (26 square km) at the foot of Mount Stephen in Yoho as a dominion park. In 1930 a much larger area was declared a national park.



The park was named after a Cree word meaning "wonder and awe”, an expression which perfectly describes Yoho National Park.



Shaped by the forces of plate tectonics and erosion and sculpted by glaciers from the ice age, Yoho's steep slopes, flat valleys, and alpine peaks comprise a variety of unique habitats that are home to an incredibly diverse mix of plants and animals.



An 1871 agreement to bring the province of British Columbia into the Confederation of Canada set the wheels in motion for the creation of the Field townsite. Crucial to the agreement was a commitment to expand railway access across the continent.



Established in the 1880s as a settlement of tents and shacks to house construction workers for the Canadian Pacific Railway, Field soon became a hotbed of activity in the Rocky Mountains. The townsite received its name in honour of Cyrus Field, an American
being wooed by the CPR for investment capital.

The CPR greatly influenced development in the area by building many of the hiking trails surrounding Field and erecting a variety of mountain hotels, chalets, and guide houses to attract the wealthy tourists who helped fund the construction of the railway, which was completed in 1885.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement







Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 21; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb