Day 9 - May 20, 2017 Kaleden, BC to Williams Lake, BC


Advertisement
Published: May 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Woke up really early today to a glorious morning. Sky is clear and the weather is warm. Put on a pot of coffee and got on the computer to put in yesterday's blog, only to find the computer was totally screwed up. I think we picked up a virus of some sort. After spending over an hour on the thing, Ray got it to run normal again. Don't know how and don't care. We departed Kaleden at 8:00 sharp and headed north on Rt 97 toward Peachland (guess what they grow there?) This section of highway winds it's way along the west shoreline of Lake Okanagan. I was very hilly with breathtaking views of the lake at every turn. At Peachland, we headed west on Rte 97C, the Coquihalla Connector. This road climbed thousands of feet above the lake, over mountainous terrain, back into the snow, with the Similkameen River along side at various spots. The scenery was unbelievable, climbing and climbing we felt like we were on the highway to heaven. We stopped in Merritt, BC to gas up, and began a very winding road along the banks of the Nicola River. Diane needed a diaper change after the drive down this route across the Nicola River Valley. This river was very swollen with spring melt and the ton of rain they have been receiving.

We stopped in Cache Creek, a good size town for this part of the world, and after prying John's hands from the steering wheel, we walked over to Herbies, for one of their "world famous Hambugers". The girls were thrilled to be going out for lunch. Funny how when you haven't eaten out for a while how wonderful food not prepared by you can taste. While waiting for our lunch we spoke with a couple of locals and they mentioned what a severe winter they had. It broke records to all the way back to 1910. Pressing on from there, we headed north, stopping for the night at Wildwood RV park, in Williams Lake, BC. The folks here are as friendly as all of the people we've met at the various RV parks. Just nice people.

The route today was again, varied in topography, with lots of rolling prairies, pastures with grazing cattle, mountainous terrain with unbelievable rock formations and drop offs, and lots of large, pristine lakes, dotted with fishing boats. Ray was very jealous of them. This is trout country, and with the holiday weekend, folks are out in droves. Today also marks a week since we left Forest City, IA. We've covered alot of ground since then, with plenty more to go.

After getting settled in to the camp site, the girls caught up on laundry, and Ray scrapped the bugs off the windshield. We met at Maison German for cocktails, and I hosted our guests to dinner. After bidding them fond Adieu, we're finishing up this blog, and hitting the sack.

Miles-307

Total miles - 2153

Wildlife sightings - Nada, zilch


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement





21st May 2017

Good job
Ray might be the cat header but you are doing a fantastic job of describing this adventure. Almost feel like we are there with you. Keep it coming Sandy
22nd May 2017

Blog
Thanks Joe, but I cannot take all of the credit. Ray and I usually do the blog together. Glad you are enjoying it.
21st May 2017

Don't think you probably have been getting any of my comments as didn't have my email address in there..
The blogs have been great. Scenery awesome. Just looking st some of the pics makes my hands sweat from the look of the elevation. I too would have needed a diaper change???? Bud is having a hard time reading the blogs as it makes him sad not to be there. Miss you all and look forward to the update every morning. Take care and of course have fun ....which from pics you are❤️❤️❤️
21st May 2017

Glad you straightened it out.
21st May 2017

Diane's diaper
It's beautiful country but I'm with Diane. Mountain driving makes me very nervous.

Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 17; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0828s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb