Well fancy that, a hop on hop off ferry


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 49.2843, -123.121

The Aquabus was like a tiny little tub bobbing around in False Creek Bay as it zig zagged backwards and forwards across the inlet. It was a perfect way to see the highlights of Granville, the southern end of the Sea Wall and to give access to "another" casino.

There was no rush to the start of the day and we didn't really get under way until 11 am and that gave the "workers" a chance to sort themselves out in the city before we started to get in the way. Of course, every day starts with a walk somewhere and today it was south (and our tip from the Concierge....just keep the mountains to your back because they are north).

First stop was Granville Island and it was alive with school children everywhere because it was The Children's Festival. Much like our Under8s week with activities and entertainment targeted at children and families. It added a real hubbub to the island with lines of kids traipsing along behind teachers holding flags on long poles like tour guides. The kids had their faces painted,were wearing their Indian head dresses, macaroni necklaces and beaded wrist straps. Made me smile! Just like home.

The Island is a reclaimed industrial area and now features an eclectic array of permanent shops and restaurants and a vibrant People's Market chock a block full of fresh food items and culinary delights from all around the world. It was packed! Had an energy about it that we enjoyed and we saw lots of tasty morsels that would be tempting if we had a month of Sunday's to sample them.

The word "Island" is a misnomer as we discovered on our trans navigation because the island is in fact two reclaimed sand banks that do have a connection along the Sea Wall to the southern suburbs of Vancouver. We completed the loop of Granville scaled the lookout, wandered around the Emily Carr University, skirted the Kid's House and the marinas, poked in the indigenous arts and crafts shops and found lots to explore on the boardwalk that meandered around the island.

Back to the jetty and a continuation of the zig zag across and around the inlet to take a look at David Lam Park (lowest toilet doors ever..you could see over the top into the stalls), Stamp's Landing (best restaurant locations on the inlet), Spyglass Place (we couldn't find the spyglass), Yaletown and the Roundhouse (the most amazing yachts in the marina), Place of Nations (home to Edgewater Casino and BC Place) and The Villlage (on "ride to work day"😉, the Science Museum and the Olympic Village.)

About the Casino. You guessed it, poker machines. Mac took a look at the Poker Room and although tempted for a hand or two determined we didn't have the hours necessary to invest in a game. Me on the other hand - well - the Mayan Magic was calling and I had to have my $10 spin. We were "lucky" right from the first coin drop and after lots of excitement and fun (me playing, Mac watching with a rum) we left 30 minutes later with the princely sum of $40. Winners! After our lack of luck at the racecourse this leaves us a total of $10 in front for the trip. Building our bank.

Have to say the Aquabus was just "superdooper." It was like our own private water taxi service. I am not sure how it all works but it seemed as if as we made our way down the ramp of the jetty a taxi was heading towards us ready to take us backwards and forwards and up and down the inlet. We did not have to wait on any of the 10 legs of our journey and it was like a lucky dip what sort of taxi would arrive - I think we got to ride in four different variations of the little tubs. All of this is building our stamina for the sea .... at least that is what we are telling ourselves!

Dinner tonight was in an Indian Restaurant across the street from The Fairmont - the Salam Bombay. Mac engaged with the wait staff on his passion for "spicy" and he got what he asked for.....a soup with so much flavour and so much spice that just inhaling the vapour brought tears to his eyes. It was a "hot" intro for Mac, but my tastes were equally catered for personally by the Chef with my coconut prawns which were deliciously flavoured but burn free.

Still thinking that Vancouver is not quite our favourite city "yet." Not sure if it is the constant grey skies, the urban pervasiveness of rubbish, the sadness associated with the incredible number of homeless or the overwhelming pall of smoke! In the two weeks in Whistler followed by the 5 days in Victoria not sure we saw any litter anywhere and definitely have no recollection of cigarette smoke. It feels as if 50% of people smoke and cigarette butts are like a carpet on the ground...they are everywhere. It seems at such odds for a city where sustainability and protection of the environment is featured on every other sign. Oh well, maybe we just haven't hit the right spots. Still lots more to come.

And just saying, unless we can pin down a laundry option STAT, Mac is topless on the bike ride on Wednesday.

Monday
Temperature: 16
Pedometer: 21 079
Bear Sightings = 0

Total Bear Sightings = 2


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



27th May 2015

I'm loving the travel blog, it's so exciting. Haven't been to Vancouver for many many years, but don't remember any of this. We did some lovely walks there and a cable car up to Grouse? Mountain, and some night skiing and just loved it up
there. Keep trekking and having fun.
27th May 2015

Green with envy, brought back memories of our time there with Johno and Sarah.Keep having fun while staying safe xx
27th May 2015

looks good try and see capilano suspension bridge .catch bus from Canada place
27th May 2015

You guys are just sooooo busy......I think you will have to come home for a holiday!!!!! Just lovin' going every step with you.......xxxxxx

Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0136s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb