Vancouver - The FINAL resting place of the car


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Saved: March 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

BC


When we woke up in Jasper we had every intention of paying to dispose of the car and then either hitch hiking or catching a bus to Vancouver. We went to the towing company that would tow the car out of National Park and were about to pay but had no cash and they did not take debit. We drove to the nearest ATM and pulled our cash out, but on the way back we stopped in an empty parking lot and did a few donuts to say goodbye. After a good slam on the brakes all of the noises suddenly stopped. The brake screeching was gone, and the strut noise was gone as well.

We made the decision right then that it was fate and we had to try to drive it to Vancouver. We learnt that as long as we didn’t use the brakes they wouldn’t lock and make the sound. So we drove all the through the mountains only slowing down by down gearing and the E-brake. The brakes still worked in case we needed them, it would just cause something to lock up and grind. It may not have been the smartest idea, but that’s why we didn’t tell any family until we actually arrived in Vancouver that we were doing it. We ended up extending the life of car by another 950km and rolled into Vancouver on May 23rd.

It took us 17 days to get across Canada in our beater and it was an awesome road trip. The original plan was to continue to drive down into California but there’s too many problems with the car it’s not even worth getting it fixed.

We stayed with one of my friends from school for the first few days. He showed us around Vancity and made us feel right at home. Seeing a familiar face across the country was a real treat. Vancouver’s transit system is amazing to get around so it was easy to explore the whole city. It was nice to wake every morning knowing that we don’t have to drive 400-500 km but I also missed that adventure part of waking up somewhere new every day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

28th May 2012

the car
I'm really glad you didn't let us know your plans as I probably would have worried even more than usual, but I'am glad you got to see what you did by car. how nice of Uncle Mike and Aunt Cathy to offer to help get if fixed if it had have been an option. thanks guys. take care and keep us posted it's wonderful getting to follow your trip this way. luv mom

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb