Cambodia & Vietnam in Review


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
March 14th 2011
Published: March 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Phnom PenhPhnom PenhPhnom Penh

Choeung Ek Genocidal Center Killing Fields
Our journey home on Sunday, March 13th was very long and for some exhausting.

Sunday, March 13th was our last day in Vietnam and I was up at he crack of dawn with the hopes of making the last entry to our travel blog. The business centre at the Windsor Hotel was very kind in letting me use a desk so that I could sit in comfort to write my thoughts. The internet cafe (wireless internet access) just outside the hotel knew exactly what I wanted to drink while I added some photos and published our blog.

A few of the ladies headed for the market to do a bit of last minute shopping while Susan had breakfast with Stacey Smith a long time Kitimat family friend. (Stacey is teaching English in Ho Chi Minh City and has just signed on for a 3rd year) Sandie and I did venture out to the local shopping area behind the hotel however we weren't as successful as Anneli. Others rested up for the long journey home.

While transiting the Saigon Airport guess what? Yes it is a small world, we ran into a young Kitimat girl waiting for her Korean
Siem ReapSiem ReapSiem Reap

Banteay Srei (Citadel of the Women)
Airline flight to Vancouver. Amazing how our little town of Kitimat is spread out around the world. So remember to behave because you just never know who you might run into.


I thought that I would give my thoughts on each of our destinations and add a few more photos. It was important for us to stay in locally owned hotels and use local tour guides. Would I make changes? Definitely! My one regret was not visiting Sapa, so somehow I will fit this destination into another itinerary.


Phnom Penh: (Phnom Penh Hotel)

What a culture shock it was for us when we arrived in the city of Phnom Penh and the surrounding area. Although the city has some modern buildings looked tired, dusty, old and in need of a clean up. The people are very very poor and there are small street stalls and street vendors on every corner. Basic clean drinking water is not available to most people in the country. Donations from visitors, non profit organizations and International Clubs have provided wells for families and communities. Cost is approximately $500.00US. The people however are happy and extremely helpful.

Phnom Penh, known
Siem ReapSiem ReapSiem Reap

Banteay Srei
as the "Pearl of Asia" has been the national capital since the French colonized Cambodia. During the Vietnam War, Cambodia was used as a base by the North Vietnamese Army and the Viet Cong. Thousands flooded the city to escape the fighting between their own government troops, the South Vietnamese and its allies and the Khmer Rouge. By 1975 the population was 2 million. The city fell to the Khmer Rouge on April 17, 1975. Many of the residents including those who were wealthy and educated were forced to do labour on rural farms as "new people". The Khmer Rouge marched prisoners to Choeung Ek where they were murdered and buried in shallow pits. The Khmer Rouge were driven out of Phnom Penh by the Vietnamese in 1979.

The Choeung Ek Genocidal Center is a unique and special place which reflects the most barbarous cruel crime committed by the Ultra Communist Khmer Rouge Regime during 1975 - 1979. Here, about 20,000 people including foreigners were executed and murdered. Some 129 mass graves and about 8,000 human skulls at the site bear testimony to this unspeakable crime. In order to remember the spirits of the victims at the site as
Siem ReapSiem ReapSiem Reap

Bakong Temple "Women with Wings"
well as over 3 million victims throughout the country, this Memorial Charnel was build at the center in 1988.

Those visiting the site can pay their respect to the spirits of the victims by offering flowers and lighting incense and candle in front of the charnel before starting their visit to the site.

It is impossible to understand how something like this could happen, you learn about it, you read about it, however to be there sends a chill up your spine. I have to admit that when planning this trip I didn't want to visit the Killing Fields. However, I now feel at peace knowing that we paid our respect to those who lost their lives and I now have a better understanding of todays Cambodian people.




Siem Reap: (Somadevi Angkor Hotel)

What can I say about this city and the area around Siem Reap (pronounced "See-em Reep") . We loved our time in this part of Cambodia.

Designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, the Angkor Archaeological Park encompasses dozens of temple ruins including, Bayon, Banteay Srey and the famous Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom. Unlike many other world class
Siem ReapSiem ReapSiem Reap

Smiling faces of Bayon Temple
monuments the ruins of Angkor are still unspoiled by over development.

For me Angkor is up there with the Egyptian Pyramids, Machu Picchu, Petra in Jordan and the Great Wall of China. Due to the increase in tourism the city of Siem Reap has grown rapidly offering wonderful hotels, good restaurants, shopping and of course the famous night markets. We felt very safe walking around the downtown area and if we had too many shopping bags to carry we just negotiated a rate with one of the local tuc tuc operators. ($4.00 US$ would get 4 people to almost anywhere you wanted to go within the city)

As you can see from the pictures posted I loved this part of Cambodia and would come back again the do more exploring on my own time.




Hanoi: (Hanoi Sunway Hotel)

Hanoi was our introduction to crazy traffic. Never have I seen so many scooters and I think these people have mastered the real use of the scooter. From transporting live pigs and chickens to furniture and lumber. How about dad at the wheel, a 2 year old on a wicker chair in front of him
Siem ReapSiem ReapSiem Reap

Calm, smiling face of Bayon Temple
along with mom and nursing baby on the back. Simply unbelievable! For the most part they wear face masks and helmets.

The French not only left their architecture with the Vietnamese people they also taught them how to make excellent french bread. Yes french bread vendors can be found on the freeways. So, if you need to have a snack or make lunch along the way just pull over a pick up a fresh loaf of french bread.

We visited all the hot spots in Hanoi, The Ethnology Museum, One Pillar Pagoda the Quan Thanh Temple in addition to walking, touring and shopping in the Old Quarter. This is where we found the famous propaganda posters.






Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Siem ReapSiem Reap
Siem Reap

Another of the more than 200 faces at Bayon Temple
Siem ReapSiem Reap
Siem Reap

Silk cotton and kapok trees covering Ta Prohm Temple
Siem ReapSiem Reap
Siem Reap

Beng Melea Temple The lost temple over run with vegetation
Siem ReapSiem Reap
Siem Reap

Bayon Temple
Siem ReapSiem Reap
Siem Reap

Bayon Temple
Siem ReapSiem Reap
Siem Reap

Harvesting the lotus seed from the decorative pods
Siem ReapSiem Reap
Siem Reap

Prayer flower - The beautiful Lotus
Siem ReapSiem Reap
Siem Reap

Angkor Wat
Siem ReapSiem Reap
Siem Reap

Off to the market!
Hanoi, VietnamHanoi, Vietnam
Hanoi, Vietnam

Presidential Palace
Siem ReapSiem Reap
Siem Reap

Rice Fields, water buffalo


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb