Our first few days in Vancouver


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
February 8th 2010
Published: February 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So we finally arrived in Vancouver after a pretty rubbish flight. First we were delayed from taking off for 1 hour as there was someone ill on the plane and we had to wait for them to be taken off and their bags found in the hold. Then we had several bouts of pretty bad turbulence, the plane was full to the brim and the woman next to us kept leaning on Amy's tv controls in the arm rest, so the films would pause or start fast forwarding! The films were pretty rubbish anyway. Then someone behind Jake starting throwing up on the back of his seat and finally we waited ages for our bags at Vancouver airport. Amy's bag was pretty much the last one to come out and she was very worried it would never arrive! Our friends, Micky and Tricia were very kindly waiting for us to arrive and took us back to theirs.

It has taken us a few days to get over our jet lag and we have been waking up at 5am each morning. Day 1 was spent just relaxing and we wondered around the local mall. Day 2 was spent researching for our upcoming trip to Vancouver Island and then we headed into downtown Vancouver. We strolled around some of the streets surrounding Micky's office and saw some of the Olympics street events under construction. Despite the games starting in only a few days, not everything appears ready just yet!

We then did a walk with Micky down to the waterfront, and then along into Gastown, which is the old part of town. We saw the famous steam clock and heard it chime! As it was the end of the working week, we ended up in a pub for a few drinks before heading back to the flat for Chinese takeaway and Star Trek on Blue Ray.

Day 3 was a Saturday, so no work for Micky and Tricia and as the weather was good we headed up Grouse Mountain. There was blue skies and with the sun shining we got very warm trekking around the mountain. We wanted to head up to a new wind turbine that has only recently been completed, but for some stupid reason we were not allowed on the chair lift as we were not skiers! We attempted to walk up to it, but it got a bit too steep. There is some concern about the fact that there has not really been any snow recently and with the Olympic games impending, they have started creating fake snow and also importing it in from other areas.
We also visited Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge and did a walk in the surrounding forest. We opted for this over Capilano Suspension Bridge, which is heavily advertised in all tourist brochures, as it was free and apparently just as good. Got to watch the old budget! A great day of outdoor activities, ended with a rosy glow on all our faces.

Day 4 we spent hours sorting out our trip to Vancouver Island. The accomodation there is more expensive than we were expecting and there do not appear to be very many hostels over there. After crashing the computer, confusing the printer and pulling our hair out, we finally managed to book everything we needed and enjoyed a pancake breakfast. Our hosts in the meantime had been out running to train for their upcoming half marathon, so they deserved the pancakes much more than we did! In an effort to work ours off, we then all headed for Buntzen Lake and did a 8km hike round it. Unfortunately it was a bit drizzly, but we were mainly sheltered by the trees, so didn't get too wet. The scenery was beautiful and the lake was what I imagine New Zealand to be like, but hopefully a bit warmer!

Day 5 was a washing and organising day before our trip the next day and in the afternoon we went to Tricia's parents house for dinner, which was very tasty. We really are being spoilt with all this home cooked food, being driven around and being looked after!

So that is all of our news for now, please email us with all of yours.


Additional photos below
Photos: 57, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



12th February 2010

travelling websters
Intersting article-we are just back from walking in the eiffel mountains where there was tons of snow- just managed to get out today!
12th February 2010

Snow!!
Hello, Lovely to get your news and see the photos. Please tell the Olympic people they should transfer to the Eifel where we have just been for 5 days and were in danger of being snowed in there!! Would like to send you our photos but I don't know how to do it!! Been listening to the radio and apparently they are trying to sweep up all the homeless in Vancouver to hide them from visitors!! Lots of love xxx

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb