Memories of Vancouver 2010 Torch Relay


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
February 19th 2012
Published: February 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Travelling Canucks in Red & WhiteTravelling Canucks in Red & WhiteTravelling Canucks in Red & White

At Richmond O'Zone, February 9th, 2010.

Memories of Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics' Torch Relay



Painting Our Country Red & White

On the 76th day of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Torch Relay that wound its way across Canada, the Torch crossed the border between Alberta and British Columbia. The Torch Relay brought tears to peoples' eyes, it inspired a generation to dream and it all reminded us why we love Canada. The Torch Relay brought Canadians from all over Canada to celebrate what is good about Canada and Canadians.

Hardy Canadians travelled in -60C temperatures in snow storms to see the Torch, Native Canadians celebrated with Canadians born or recently immigrated to our metropolitan centres and remote communities, Native traditions and celebrations brought Canadian First Nations Peoples front and centre, Canadians with physical and mental challenges carried the Torch with pride, and spectators watched with pride at their determination to overcome obstacles and the sheer joy on the Torch bearer's faces and those that watched along the country roads and streets of urban Canada.

The Torch Relay brought people, families, communities, regions and Canada together like no other in recent memory. Here are some of the Travelling Canucks' personal memories to last a lifetime...

Oh Zone!

On Tuesday, February 9th, the Travelling Canucks headed to the Richmond O'Zone via Canada Line to celebrate the arrival of the Torch with 20,000 other cheering Canadians in Richmond. Red mittens and Canadian flags met Rick Hansen, a Canadian hero who is known as the Man in Motion, who carried the Olympic Torch as he wheeled his way to light the cauldron in Richmond.

Rick Hansen is no stranger to Canadians across this vast land since he wheeled around the World 25 years ago to bring awareness and raise funds for victims of paraplegia. An amazing athlete, he lost the use of his legs as a result of a car accident when he was 15 years old. Mama Canuck has few heroes; Rick Hansen is one of a few who she admires greatly.

His inspirational words and personal integrity have brought tears of pride and joy, and his leg of the Torch Relay was no exception. There was a spirit and energy which brought the realization that with 2 days to go, pride and excitement was growing in the city that would host the 2010 Winter Olympics, and the country that invited the World to celebrate excellence in athletics and friendship among nations around the World, would be centre stage.

With Glowing Hearts

Thursday, February 11th was the day that the Olympic Torch arrived home, the Travelling Canucks' home, our birthplace and the place we love, Vancouver. It started with a family celebration at our daughter's school where a school family's tragedy was the impetus for parents, teachers and students to come together to support a student in her personal journey to deal with the murder of her mother. Again tears filled Mama Canuck's eyes as this girl joined the nationwide Torch Relay with the spirit, hope and optimism of a country behind her. Later that day, the Travelling Canucks headed to LiveCity Yaletown to celebrate the arrival of the torch in the host city with thousands. The fireworks and musical performances were well worth the long line-up.

It was on Friday, February 12th that the feelings shared by viewing online videos of the Torch Relay throughout its journey finally culminated in one of the highlights of living in an Olympic host city. February 12, 2010 was the day of the Opening Ceremonies at BC Place and the lighting of the Olympic Cauldron at Jack Poole Plaza at the Vancouver Trade and Convention Centre, a day we had been waiting for, for over 6 years.

While Papa Canuck enjoyed a bird's eye view from the 13th floor of his downtown office tower, Mama Canuck, who likes to be in the thick of it, awaited the start of the last leg of the Torch Relay at Robson Square when a 90 plus year old musician, a Vancouver legend, Dal Richards, held the torch high and ran up the flight of stairs to everyone's delight.

The feeling of anticipation was palpable and growing as office workers flooded the downtown streets seemingly coming from nowhere as the Torch wound its way along Robson and Georgia Streets where time came to a standstill as everyone awaited the sight of the flame as it wound its way through the downtown core. The feeling of roving crowds being mesmerized by the flame was a once in a lifetime experience that I will never forget. In fact to this day, I get goosebumps and my eyes well up when I remember some of the faces in the crowd, the faces of the torch bearers and the feelings of pride that washed over the city like a Tsunami.

While the Torch Relay was coming to an end, it was the beginning of one of the most sucessful Winter Olympics on record. Not only did Canada break its medal record at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics and won the coveted gold medals in Men's and Ladies' Ice Hockey, it won admiration for hosting a Winter Olympics that was memorable. The most important thing to remember is that everyone had a unique Olympic experience. The Travelling Canucks invite you to share yours.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

High School CelebrationsHigh School Celebrations
High School Celebrations

Vancouver Westside, February 11, 2010


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb