Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games Tips & Picks


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
January 11th 2010
Published: January 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Wrapped in the Canadian Flag!Wrapped in the Canadian Flag!Wrapped in the Canadian Flag!

Like most Canadians will be during the Olympics!

Vancouver's Olympic Journey


For winter sports spectators, the Olympic Winter Games are a highlight. For Canadian hockey fans, Gold Medal Hockey is the ultimate sporting event! For Vancouverites, holding the 21st Olympic Winter Games has been a seven-year journey.

From launching the bid in 1997 to conducting a referendum in 2003, from investing billions in infrastructure projects to building new venues and refurbishing existing venues, from recruiting 25,000 volunteers to buying Olympic tickets by lottery - it's been quite the journey.
00
DAYS 
00
HOURS 
00
MINS 
00
SECS


TO GO!

Let the games begin, already! Vancouverites have been debating, planning and anticipating the Games for over 7 years. After living in an Olympic construction zone, Olympic venues, built on-schedule and on-budget, are ready, hotels are fully booked, Vancouver International Airport, the third busiest airport in Canada, is expecting record-breaking traffic, and Vancouverites are bracing themselves for 30%!m(MISSING)ore traffic on 20%!l(MISSING)ess roadways in the downtown core. With Olympic lanes, pedestrian only streets from noon to midnight, and tens of thousands of locals and visitors enjoying 17 days of sporting and cultural events, some Vancouverites are planning to leave town (believe it or not), to take time off (like the Travelling Canucks), to telecommute,
Travelling Canucks Pass the TorchTravelling Canucks Pass the TorchTravelling Canucks Pass the Torch

at Coca-Cola's Pin Trading Centre at the Olympic Superstore.
or to walk, bike or take transit to their downtown workplaces and Olympic fun places!

The Travelling Canucks will be blogging about our Olympic experiences. So, join us to find out how Vancouver's hosting of the Winter Games rates!

Vancouver 2010 Fun Facts


Did you know...
• The Olympic Torch Relay is the longest torch relay in a host country? 12,000 torchbearers will carry the torch 45,000km over 106 days!
• Athletes from over 96 countries have qualified to compete?
• 5,500 athletes and officials from over 80 countries are expected to compete in the Games?
• Athletes, competing in 15 sports, are looking to win medals in 86 sporting events?
• Athletes from Ghana, Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Colombia, Peru, Montenegro, and Serbia will be making their Winter Olympic débuts?
• 1.6 million Olympic tickets will be printed with 70%!s(MISSING)old to the general public?
• 6,200 Olympic banners and 10 building wraps will adorn the city? Visa's Go World, Royal Bank Canada (RBC), Canadian Flag, CTV, Molson Canada, and Air Canada at YVR to name a few.
• 750,000 Quatchi, Miga and Sumi plush toys have already been sold?
• 50 kilometres of security barriers encircle Olympic venues?
• With a $900 million security budget for the
Canada Hockey Place Canada Hockey Place Canada Hockey Place

NHL-sized hockey rink hosts Olympic Men and Women's Hockey. Photo: Women's Hockey Canada Cup in September 2009.
Games, the total cost of the Games is pegged at $1.76 billion?
• Voted the world's most livable city in 2009 by The Economist, Vancouver is the most populous Winter Olympics host city?
• Vancouver's average February temperature of 5°C (41°F) is the warmest of any Winter Games host city?
• Venues at sea-level at the Winter Games are rare. We have ice hockey and speed skating venues at sea-level?
• With four billion people expected to watch the lighting of the Olympic Cauldron, Vancouver will stage the first indoor Winter Games Opening and Closing Ceremonies?
• Vancouver will be the first Winter Olympics where men's and women's hockey will be played on an NHL-sized ice rink, instead of the international-sized rink?
• Cypress Mountain's Half Pipe will be the highest Half Pipe at an Olympic event at 38.22 feet high?
• Canada is the only Olympic host country to not have won a gold medal at home? The 2010 Winter Olympics will be the third Olympics hosted by Canada - Montreal hosted the 1976 Summer Olympics and Calgary hosted the 1988 Winter Olympics.

Paint the Town Red!


The Canadian Olympic Committee's invitation to all Canadians to cheer on the Canadian Olympic Team to victory in 2010 has painted Canadian towns red. Canadians have worn red and flown flags on the Torch Relay route, on their homes, businesses, and cars to show their national pride!

The City of Vancouver is encouraging Vancouverites to “Paint Vancouver Red” as we welcome the Olympic Torch Relay on February 11th and 12th by wearing a red sweater, red scarf, red toque, waving a Canadian flag, and cheering loudly for the Canadian Olympic Team as the Olympic Torch passes through our neighbourhoods.

Hosting the Olympics not only results in building sporting venues and legacies, it builds national pride and a sense of community! The Travelling Canucks are ready to go red!

Tips to Maximize Your Olympic Experience


To get the most out of your Winter Olympics experience, you need to know what's happening, when it's happening, where it's happening and how to get there! While the Vancouver 2010 and Cultural Olympiad websites are invaluable tools, we are blogging about the whole Games experience from practical information to shopping ideas.

Our blog Vancouver -2010 Winter Olympics Host City covers the sporting venues, celebration sites and Olympic attractions. This blog highlights the Travelling Canucks' Tips & Picks of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter
Canada Line AccessibilityCanada Line AccessibilityCanada Line Accessibility

Wheelchairs, strollers, and travellers accomodated on Canada Line from YVR to Waterfront Station. No bicyles on Canada Line over the Olympic period!
Games!

Travelling Canucks' Tips & Picks are:

• Be Prepared

• Wear comfortable shoes, Gore-Tex jackets, hats, and gloves! Be prepared for walking and standing in long line-ups!
• Allow for lots of time to get to events - heavy traffic, packed transit, no spectator parking at venues, crowds, and security screening means it will take time to get your bums in the Olympic venue seats and access celebration sites.
• Don't leave your Official Spectator Guide at home- lots of useful information!
• Show your Olympic event ticket and ride free on public transit (Translink Bus Network, SkyTrain, Canada Line, & SeaBus) on the day of the scheduled event.
• Buy a book of one zone adult "FareSavers" for $19 to avoid line-ups at ticket vending machines. Don't forget to validate your ticket before crossing into the fare-paid zone. If you are using transit Monday to Friday prior to 6:30pm to get to Richmond or the North Shore, you will need a two-zone ticket. Concession fares are available for school-aged children and seniors.
• To avoid security holdups, leave large backpacks & bags, and prohibited items at home since there are no bag-check areas at venues.
• Gates at city Olympic venues open two
Tickets & Spectator GuideTickets & Spectator GuideTickets & Spectator Guide

Don't leave home without them!
hours before scheduled start of events, three hours before the start of Alpine events at Whistler and Cypress Mountains, and four hours before the opening and closing ceremonies.
• No re-entry at Olympic venues.
• Buy tickets from the official Vancouver 2010 ticket website (Fan to Fan or Auction) or ticket centre at Robson Square. There is no guarantee that tickets are valid unless bought directly from Vancouver 2010.
• Reserve seats on Olympic Bus Network for Whistler and Cypress Mountains.
• Bring a Visa Credit Card, Visa Debit Card, or cash to Olympic venues and the Olympic Superstore. No other credit or debit cards are accepted. ATMs are located at Canada Line stations and Olympic venues for cash withdrawals.
• Look for Tourism Vancouver Information Kiosks, Vancouver Police Department Kiosks, Downtown Ambassadors, and Olympic Ambassadors for assistance.
• Bring a map. Since distances on maps can be deceiving, ask Vancouverites for directions - we are friendly hosts!
• Watch CTV Television Network, the official Canadian broadcaster, NBC, TSN , and Rogers Sportsnet for Olympic coverage. Click on CTV Olympics for web coverage.

• Go on an Olympic Shopping Spree

The Olympic Superstore at The Bay Downtown, located on the corner of West Georgia and Granville Street,
Olympic SuperstoreOlympic SuperstoreOlympic Superstore

The Bay Downtown, on the corner of Granville Street and Georgia Street, houses the Olympic Superstore- Go World Building Wrap marks the spot!
is a one-stop shopping destination for all official licensed merchandise of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, including:

• Vancouver 2010 Clothing and Memorabilia
• HBC Olympic Clothing and Canadiana
• Olympic Mascots
• Swatch Watches
• Panasonic Electronics
• Royal Canadian Mint's Vancouver 2010 Collection
• Ralph Lauren's USA Olympic Clothing
• Nike Shirts and Hockey Jerseys for Canadian Hockey Fans
• Birks Olympic Jewellery
• Coca-Cola Branded Olympic Collectibles
• Torch Relay Clothing and Memorabilia

Officially licensed merchandise can be purchased at Olympic Stores at the Vancouver International Airport and in Whistler, online at The Olympic Store, and at all competition and non-competition venues.

UPDATE:

10,000 shoppers are lining up for at least 1 hour every day to buy Vancouver 2010 memorabilia or to show their colours! Big News: Canuck Junior gets her first job working at the International Village on the 5th Floor selling Olympic team clothing! Tip: Russian, British, Australian, Italian, American, Finnish, Chinese, Hockey Jerseys and Caps of all the Hockey Nations, and HBC Canadian Olympic Team clothing are on sale without lining up at the Seymour Street entrance!

Shopping Picks:

• Nike stores carry shirts and jerseys for Canadian and International hockey fans.
• Omega, the official timekeeper for the Olympic
Roots Vancouver PillowsRoots Vancouver PillowsRoots Vancouver Pillows

Unique shopping experience - love the new look at the flagship store on the corner of Robson & Burrard.
Games, will have an Omega Boutique at the Fairmont Hotel. Numbered, limited edition Seamaster Diver 300m "Vancouver 2010" watches with Olympic rings on the seconds hand and embossed Vancouver 2010 logo on the caseback of this red and white watch is one of the pricier souvenirs.
• Royal Canadian Mint's store, located at 500 Granville street on the corner of West Pender, will exhibit the Olympic and Paralympic medals and the Mint's million dollar gold coin from 9am to 10pm from February 12th to 28th, as well as retailing the Vancouver 2010 collection.
• Canada Post sells commemorative stamps for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games, which includes collector’s packages, hand stamps and stamp-related souvenir licensed products. The Main Post Office is located on West Georgia at Hamilton Street.
• Roots Canada carries trendy clothing for Canadian fans and fans from 14 countries at its flagship store on the corner of Robson and Burrard Street and online.
• Lululemon Athletica is selling a "rogue" clothing line for Canadian and International fans of the “cool event taking place between 2009 and 2011”!
• TNA and Aritzia, a Vancouver-based chain of clothing stores, feature a line of Olympic hoodies, t-shirts, and accessories celebrating 2010 for teenage girls and
BC Place StadiumBC Place StadiumBC Place Stadium

at Terry Fox Plaza entrance off Beatty Street.
the young at heart. They also carry vintage Olympic t-shirts and bags that Canuck Junior thinks are cool!
• New Era offers baseball-caps for hockey, snowboard and bobsleigh fans.
• A limited edition Go Canada palette is an Olympic-inspired compact by Vasanti featuring gold, silver, and bronze eye shadows to match each level of the podium, as well as white highlighter powder and sheer red lipstick to represent the Canadian flag. Rexall and Shopper's Drug Marts carry Vasanti.
• For enophiles, Jackson Triggs 2010 Esprit Chardonnay and Esprit Merlot wines have been released to commemorate the Games. Every time you purchase a bottle of Jackson-Triggs Esprit wines, partial proceeds support the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Games and Canadian Olympic Team. Sumac Ridge's Tribute, a sparkling wine, has also been released in honour of the games.
• If you own a Samsung OMNIA II Smartphone, keep up-to-date on Olympic schedules, competition results, medal standings, and weather forecasts up at Whistler with Samsung's Wireless Olympic Works application.
• Sega's Vancouver 2010 video game for PC, XBox and PlayStation features 14 virtual events, including slalom, bobsleigh, snowboard and speed skating. Sounds fun!

• Attend Celebrations and Meet the World

If hanging out in Whistler is out
GE Ice PlazaGE Ice PlazaGE Ice Plaza

at Robson Square -Bring your skates or rent skates for $3!
of reach, downtown Vancouver will be the place to be during Games time, whether you’re attending an Olympic event or just enjoying the energy of thousands of visitors from around the world. To meet visitors from around the world:

• Hang out at a LiveCity site in Yaletown's David Lam Park or downtown on Georgia Street, between Beatty and Cambie Street where you can watch sporting events on giant screens and live performances. Headliners at Livecity Yaletown:Sam Roberts Band (Saturday, February 20th, 9:30-10:30pm); Jully Black (Sunday, February 21st, 9:30-10:30pm); Colin James (Monday, February 22nd, 9:30-10:30pm); and, Blue Rodeo (Saturday, February 27th, 9:30-10:30pm).
• Tour pavilions at LiveCity Celebration sites, Concord Pacific site, Robson Square, and Granville Island.
• Buy a ticket for a Victory Ceremony at BC Place Stadium to celebrate medal performances followed by music concerts.
• Walk the pedestrian thoroughfares from noon to midnight - Granville St between Smithe St and Cordova St; Robson St between Bute St and Beatty St; Hamilton/Mainland corridor between David Lam Park and Georgia St; and, Beatty St between Smithe St and Dunsmuir St.
• Skate at GE Ice Plaza at Robson Square from 12pm to 9pm. Robson Square will also feature the BC Canada House, entertainment
Atlantic House at Arts Club Theatre ComplexAtlantic House at Arts Club Theatre ComplexAtlantic House at Arts Club Theatre Complex

under the bridge on the waterfront on Granville Island.
and hundreds of media from around the world broadcasting on-site at the BC Media Centre.

TOP PICKS UPDATED:
• Livecity Yaletown
• Ontario Pavilion at Concord Pacific Site
• British Columbia Canada Pavilion and Leonardo Da Vinci Exhibit
• Zip lining, skating at GE Ice Plaza, and watching the nightly light & laser show at Robson Square
• Nightly entertainment at Atlantic House on Granville Island
• Swiss specialities and hopping bar scene at House of Switzerland on Granville Island
• Soaking up the excitement, pride and entertainment that is in the streets of downtown Vancouver!


• Enjoy Cultural Experiences

Although 86 winter sports events are being held over 17 days at the Games, non-Olympic enthusiasts have many non-sporting events to enjoy! Here are some pavilions that will be cultural attractions:

• Canada's Northern House located at 602 West Hastings Street. Check out our blog about our visit to Canada's Northern House on Saturday, January 16th, titled: Our Great White North Adventure at Canada's Northern House. TOP PICK

• German FanFest in Gastown and/or Saxony House at Stanley Park's Vancouver Rowing Club. Indulge in German beer, sausages, sauerkraut, music, and entertainment.TOP PICK

• The 2010 Aboriginal Pavilion, aka Four Host First Nations Pavilion, located at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre Plaza. Featuring Lil’wat, Musqueam,
Give a Pin, Get a Pin WallGive a Pin, Get a Pin WallGive a Pin, Get a Pin Wall

Papa Canuck wins a Coca-Cola Torino 2006 pin when we visit the Olympic Superstore location on January 10th! Sorry Papa, no private sales permitted at trading centres.
Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations arts, crafts, food, stories and culture, you can shop at the Trading Post, tour the Coast Salish longhouse topped by the StratoSphere, a 20-metre-high illuminated globe, and eat Aboriginal cuisine and be entertained at the Reception Hall's exhibits and stage showcasing Aboriginal groups from all regions of Canada, including Inuit throat singing, Métis jigging, hoop dancing, as well as contemporary Aboriginal performances. TOP PICK

• The Edgewater Celebration Village 2010, located on Expo Boulevard, features Asian food, entertainment, vendors and the largest Chinese New Year celebration on Sunday, February 14th. The Travelling Canucks would recommend eating Indian cuisine at Maurya.

• Atlantic Canada House at Granville Island's Arts Club Theatre complex. Canada’s East Coast provinces will treat visitors to East Coast culinary delights and nightly performances by Atlantic Canadian artists. Daily performances on the Revue Stage will celebrate the region's culture. Open February 13th to 28th.TOP PICK

• Place de la Francophonie, the “French Quarter”, on Granville Island. Celebrate Canada's French heritage and Francophone culture at a French bistro and pub, a concert stage, and an "artists' alley". Besides free performances scheduled on February 12, 14, 15 and 17 listed on the Cultural Olympiad website,
Pin Collectors at Pin Trading CentrePin Collectors at Pin Trading CentrePin Collectors at Pin Trading Centre

Learn about pin trading, get to know pin traders and their collections, and buy Vancouver 2010 pins at the Pin Centre. Thanks to Paul Otto for letting us snap a shot of his amazing collection!
there will be family-friendly events and street entertainment.

• The House of Switzerland. Swiss House is featuring an upscale bistro serving chocolate fondue and, of course, Swiss cheese along with other authentic dishes at Vancouver's Bridges Restaurant on Granville Island. Daily activities, such as quizzes about the country and chocolate tasting on Valentine's Day, are planned. Open 8am to 2am from February 12th to 28th. Grand opening at 5:30pm on Friday, February 5th. TOP PICK

• Experience the Richmond O Zone - head to Richmond Brighouse station on the Canada Line to enjoy concerts by Our Lady Peace, Bedouin Soundclash, Tokyo Police Club and Wintersleep, skate on an outdoor rink, admire ice art, view exhibits, ride a virtual bobsleigh, and watch fireworks displays. Join 4,000 partygoers rocking to renowned Dutch artists and DJ's at Holland Heineken House Vancouver 2010 at the Minoru Arena.TOP PICK

• Attend a Cultural Happening

• Attend Vancouver 2010 Cultural Olympiad events that are free, with or without reservations, or book tickets to paid events. There are more than 600 performances and exhibitions to choose from January 22nd to March 21st. Check out the schedule at 2010 Cultural Olympiad .
• View the Ice Gate, a 95-foot long, 14-foot high
Walking on Winter Days!Walking on Winter Days!Walking on Winter Days!

Great option to avoid traffic gridlock and transit line-ups!
ice sculpture to be unveiled on February 11th at Richmond City Hall.
• Watch NBC’s Today Show broadcast live at 4am from the top of Grouse Mountain.
• Attend LunarFest on February 13th. Tour the Lantern Forest and public art sculptures on Granville Street between Robson and West Georgia between January 22nd and February 28th. On February 13th at 7:15pm, the whole family can enjoy a parade by Public Dreams and make their own lanterns earlier in the evening!
• Bamboo Welcome Gates, an installation on display from February 11th to 21st (12pm to 6pm) in Vancouver's historic Chinatown at 50 Pender Street East, invites visitors to Zodiac Square to write Welcome World Wishes to athletes and/or countries. Colourful red, water-resistant envelopes will be hung and read from the Bamboo-Cedar Gateways.
• Watch Vectorial Elevation, an art installation comprised of 20 robotic, 10,000-watt searchlights, located in Vanier Park and Sunset Beach, creating lightscapes in the skies over English Bay that can be seen as far as 15 kilometres away. TOP PICK
• The Olympic phenomenon of pin trading is as fun to watch, as it is to participate in. There are three sanctioned pin-trading centres: Olympic Superstore; Vancouver International Airport; and, in the atrium of
German FanFest, GastownGerman FanFest, GastownGerman FanFest, Gastown

German Public House between Steamworks and Waterfront Station.
the CTV Network Studios at Burrard and Robson Street. At the Pin Trading Centre launched on January 2nd at the Olympic Superstore, there is a map of Canada where you can trade your pin for a Coco-Cola pin. TOP PICK

If you can't attend a cultural event, then:

• At www.vectorialvancouver.net, design how the lights will move, their angles and how they are clustered in timed sequences to create your own patterns at Vectorial Elevation from February 4th to 28th. A personalized webpage is created for you to document your design. A real-time video stream of the work from four cameras placed around English Bay will be viewable via the Internet.
• Click CODE, the digital edition of the Cultural Olympiad.
• Shop online!

• Explore New Ways to Get Around

• Hop on the 1.8K Olympic Line, Bombardier's European streetcar that shuttles passengers from the Canada Line's Olympic Village Station to Granville Island. Bombardier has loaned the city two streetcars from Brussels, Belgium, which will operate from 6:30am to 12:30 am, seven days a week from January 21st to March 21st. You can hop on the first shuttle at 9:30am on Thursday, January 21st!TOP PICK
• Board the 70-passenger ferry traveling
Saxony House at Vancouver Rowing ClubSaxony House at Vancouver Rowing ClubSaxony House at Vancouver Rowing Club

at the West Georgia Street entrance to Stanley Park.
from Ambleside Pier located at the foot of 14th Street in West Vancouver to the Harbour Green Dock at the foot of Bute Street in Coal Harbour. This 10 minute boat-ride costs $5 for a one-way ticket and $9 for a round-trip. Check schedule for departure times.
• Ride Canada Line from 4:50 a.m. to 1:15 a.m.TOP PICK

• Hangout at Hospitality Houses

Hospitality Houses will turn Vancouver's downtown into a United Nations of food, drink, and entertainment.

Set up by competing countries, sports teams and organizations, and sponsors during the Games, generally, Hospitality Houses are off-limits to the public, reserved for team members and their families, sports and government officials, and corporate sponsors. Star spotting at private Hospitality Houses is an unofficial spectator sport!

Hospitality Houses will be taking over restaurants, such as Bridges Restaurant on Granville Island, The William Tell and The Player's Chop House across from BC Place Stadium, and The Atlantic Trap & Grill; bars, such as Doolin's Irish Pub, The Commodore Ballroom on Granville Street, and Savage Beagle in Whistler; private clubs, such as the Terminal City Club, Vancouver Club, and Vancouver Rowing Club; hotel banquet facilities at the Four Seasons, Fairmont, Moda
Vancouver Art GalleryVancouver Art GalleryVancouver Art Gallery

Home of BC Pavilion at Robson Square.
and Hyatt; entertainment venues, such as The Roundhouse, Granville Island Arts Club, Vancouver International Film Centre, Science World , Birk's flagship store, and the 6th Floor of the downtown Bay.

Luckily, the following Hospitality Houses are open to the public:

Holland Heineken House

Holland Heineken House, located at the Richmond O'Zone's Minoru Arena, will be party central for 4,000 partygoers from 9pm to 2am. Listening to Dutch entertainers and DJ's while drinking Heineken beer can't be beat! TOP PICK

Molson Canadian Hockey House

With a 7,500-square-metre facility located next to Canada Hockey Place on the Concord Pacific site, Molson Canadian Hockey House will be hockey central! With broadcasts of all of the men's and women's games on giant screens, performances from musicians Sam Roberts, Tom Cochran, Colin James and The Barenaked Ladies, and comedians Brent Butt and Sean Cullen, and the chance to meet Olympians, NHL Players, and Hockey Legends, it will be one of the hot spots for the ultimate hockey fan. With tickets ranging from $99 to $250 for a 1/2-day Fan Zone pass, $450 to $1,000 for a full day VIP lounge pass, or $8,500 for the entire 17 days, it is
Museum of AnthropologyMuseum of AnthropologyMuseum of Anthropology

at University of British Columbia
the priciest house! TOP PICK

German FanFest

German FanFest, located in the parking lot between Steamworks and Waterfront Station in Gastown, will serve guests German food and drink with German entertainment. The pavilion will be open from February 11th to 28th from 10am to 2am! TOP PICK

Saxony House

Saxons? The average blogger could be forgiven for not knowing where the Free State of Saxony is, but having done my research, it is in the northeast corner of Germany, next to Poland and the Czech Republic. In fact, some of Germany's Olympians, including figure skater Katarina Witt, are from Saxony. Saxony House, located at the Vancouver Rowing Club at the entrance to Stanley Park, will feature Saxon beer, sausages, sauerkraut, music, and entertainment. Open from 12pm to 2am, February 12th-28th. TOP PICK

Irish House

Irish House features family-friendly entertainment with music and cultural exhibits during the day and a Celtic pub with food, beverages, and bands into the wee hours of the night in a 9,000 square foot tent to accommodate 700 guests! Next to Doolin's Pub, host venue, on the corner of Nelson & Seymour Street, Irish House will be open from
CTV Network StudiosCTV Network StudiosCTV Network Studios

Watch CTV news broadcasts at the corner of Burrard and Robson Street.
noon to 3am from February 9th -28th. TOP PICK

Pride House at Qmunity & Whistler

Vancouver's Pride House for gay athletes and their supporters during the 2010 Olympics will be located at Qmunity at Bute and Davie Street. Whistler's Pride House, to be launched February 8th at the Pan Pacific Hotel, will remain the focal Olympic venue for gay athletes to meet and watch the Games. Vancouver's Pride House will have its own celebration venues for gay athletes that have yet to be announced.

Jamaica Bobsleigh House at Whistler's Savage Beagle

Whistler's Jamaica Bobsleigh House at the Savage Beagle club in Whistler's town centre will be a hot spot during the Olympics. Party animals can join members of Jamaica's Bobsleigh Team, as well as from the original Cool Runnings team every evening, to enjoy live music, great food, and drinks. Jamaican Bobsleigh licensed merchandise, including fleece, hats, t-shirts, and pins, are for sale too!

• Take an Olympic Break

While February days are often cloudy and wet, Olympic events and attractions are sure to brighten your days. If you need a break from the world of the Olympics, the Travelling Canucks recommend spending time:
Watch for Mukluk!Watch for Mukluk!Watch for Mukluk!

Mukluk the Canuck, the Travelling Canucks' travel mascot, will be partying over the Games so watch out for him popping up in photos!

• Touring the Vancouver Art Gallery (VAG) and BC Pavilion at the VAG. From February 12th to 18th, admission to the VAG is free from 10am to 5pm. Check out the landmark exhibition of drawings by Leonardo da Vinci.
• Visiting the Vancouver Aquarium located in Stanley Park. Check out our blog: Sensational Stanley Park for information.
• Visit the Museum of Anthropology at UBC after its $55million renovation. Grand opening: January 23, 2010.
• Explore Vancouver's outdoors on those sunny February days. Walk along the seawalls that surround the downtown. Our favorites: Harbour Green Park (west of the Convention Centre), False Creek North, and for the most ambitious, walk all or part of the Stanley Park seawall. Bundle up because the wind can be chilly!
• Wandering around the Granville Island Public Market and artist studios/galleries. Check out our blog: Great Times on Granville Island for information.
• Ski, ride or skate at Grouse Mountain 24/7.

• Watch Olympic Coverage

The Travelling Canucks will be recording Olympic events on our PVR to watch when the lights at venues and celebration sites switch off! See you at the Games!

A memorable Olympic experience is not measured by the number of sporting events attended, the number of medals your nation won, but rather measured by the people you meet while lining up, sharing memorable moments, and celebrating excellence whether it is on the field of play, on stage or at a restaurant.

The Travelling Canucks wish you, whether you are attending the Olympic Games, following the Games on television or on the Internet, a memorable 2010 experience!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 39


Advertisement

International Broadcast Centre (IBC)International Broadcast Centre (IBC)
International Broadcast Centre (IBC)

IBC behind security barriers at the Trade and Convention Centre.
Sign of the TimesSign of the Times
Sign of the Times

Beautiful wraps over security barriers cover the amazing architecture and views!
Main Press Centre (MPC)Main Press Centre (MPC)
Main Press Centre (MPC)

MPC at Canada Place - unfortunately, access is being severly restricted around Olympic venues due to security risks.
Vancouver Convention CentreVancouver Convention Centre
Vancouver Convention Centre

Renovated Convention Centre at Canada Place under the sails.
Walking the line on Canada LineWalking the line on Canada Line
Walking the line on Canada Line

Transit is the only way to go! No spectator parking at venues.
Gotta Be Here!Gotta Be Here!
Gotta Be Here!

BC's slogan for the 2010 Vancouver Winter Games -See you at Robson Square, a gathering place over the Winter Games.
Vancouver Art GalleryVancouver Art Gallery
Vancouver Art Gallery

Leonardo da Vinci Exhibit Coming Soon!
Public Art  Everywhere Public Art  Everywhere
Public Art Everywhere

Look for public art on the beach, parks and streets!
Chinatown Gate  Chinatown Gate
Chinatown Gate

Bamboo Welcome Gates installation at Zodiac Square at 50 Pender Street East in Chinatown will be one of 600 cultural events over the Olympics.
Molson Canada, South End of Burrard BridgeMolson Canada, South End of Burrard Bridge
Molson Canada, South End of Burrard Bridge

Cheer on the Games wrap with a difference!
RBC Building WrapRBC Building Wrap
RBC Building Wrap

37 Floor RBC Tower will have the biggest wrap of all!
Mounted Police PostMounted Police Post
Mounted Police Post

Located at 767 West Cordova Street across from Sinclair Centre, near Canada Place, the Mounted Police Post specializes in RCMP collectibles and Canadiana. Look for display of police badges from around the world.
Roots Flagship StoreRoots Flagship Store
Roots Flagship Store

Great t-shirts and toques for International Roots fans -Check online store!
Pin Wall at Olympic SuperstorePin Wall at Olympic Superstore
Pin Wall at Olympic Superstore

Trouble! Mama Canuck's checking out the pins for sale. Next, she will be trading!
Anyone want to trade Olympic pins?Anyone want to trade Olympic pins?
Anyone want to trade Olympic pins?

Candidate City Pin received in July 2003 at IOC announcement of Vancouver's winning bid. Referendum Pin re: February 22, 2003 vote. Picked up the third pin at the Richmond Oval.
Nike Canadian Hockey JerseyNike Canadian Hockey Jersey
Nike Canadian Hockey Jersey

Team Canada's new look! Not-so subtle gold thread around the maple leaf with native motif.
Red Mitten Mania Continues! Red Mitten Mania Continues!
Red Mitten Mania Continues!

Olympic Superstore staff can't keep up with demand!


13th January 2010

info
very informative website, will you be highlighting neighborhoods that have painted the town red?
14th January 2010

Painting Our Towns Red
Organizing a Paint the Office Red in Downtown Vancouver two weeks before opening ceremony and plan on attending the torch relay celebrations in Vancouver and Richmond where it should be a sea of red and white. Whether we can get to celebrations around Metro Vancouver, I'm not sure, but I'll try. I hope you will go red and be part of the wave of enthusiasm. Thanks for your interest!
19th January 2010

finding a hostel of hotel
Thanks for your website. It is very helpful. I am a friend of Fred and Marlene's from the US. My daughter and I am coming to the Olympics Feb 25-26 and I have called all over to find a room. everything is booked that I have called. I wanted to find something, perhaps, close to the Pacific Collusium. We are going to an event at Cypress Mt and Pacific Collesium on Feb. 26. Any suggestions on where to stay?
19th January 2010

Finding accomodation during Olympics
Searching Tourism Vancouver's site, try calling Vancouver's Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel on Kingsway @ 12th Avenue (1-800-663- 5713). Eastside, not a tourist area, but relatively central and safe. Hard finding affordable hotels. I would not generally recommend it, but outside the downtown core, easy walk to Main Street, lots of transit options. Hotels may become available closer to the Games. Have you looked into renting a room in a private home for a couple of nights (1-888-523-6090) That seems to be the most affordable option if you can find one. Alot of people thought they could rent their homes and make alot of money. Not the case, so there might be some good deals. Good luck with your search. Send me another comment to reply to in case I come up with something. If you message me, I will see your email and then it would be easier to communicate. Good luck with your search
14th August 2010

amazing
Hello, I am a boy from Spain collector of badges and I have come here by chance, but I read your article about Vancouver 2010, and I love that nice experience and anyone living that is exciting. I leave my blog if you want to visit pins: http://pinsdepako.blogspot.com/

Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 8; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb