art is where you see it: some even see it in beautiful sandwiches


Advertisement
Published: May 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

building near Jonobuilding near Jonobuilding near Jono

(Jono took this one)
We went to see a Fred Herzog exhibition at the Vancouver art gallery on Tuesday night, which is, incidentally CHEAP Tuesday. I love that even art galleries and museums prescribe to cheap Tuesday’s here. We plan to go to the museum of anthropology next Tuesday ;-)

I digress. So, yeah, we went to see the Fred Herzog exhibition. For those of you who do not know, he is a Vancouver-based photographer, who specialises in taking documentary-type photo’s of the city as he sees it and using vibrant colour. His work just captures the ugliness, chaos and beauty of the city perfectly. Nothing staged or pretentious, but everything suddenly looked like art - neon signs, advertising banners and posters, litter, people, building fronts, skylines, cars … the way he just captured and framed the world around him, and the humour he often did it with was cool. It inspired me to take photos of anything I came across. Not Fred Herzog material, but I thought I may as well put them up here to colour in the picture of where we are a little more for you. So here you have it, from the mountains of diabetes-inducing sweets in the supermarket, to the hot dog man, the obedient dog and the romantic lure of a job making “beautiful sandwiches”.

Speaking of which, my job “inspiring people to get out doors” is a little harder than I was anticipating. I won’t go into details, suffice to say, retail is underpaid and undervalued and people are rude.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

milk in overwhelming varying degrees of fatty-nessmilk in overwhelming varying degrees of fatty-ness
milk in overwhelming varying degrees of fatty-ness

There's one percent skimmed, one and a half percent skimmed, two, two and a half, three etc, and then there's half and half (which is extra fat added). It is actually quite a challenge to find pure, un fat-tampered milk.
sun coachingsun coaching
sun coaching

they need to coach people on how to cope with the sun here, after such a sustained dark winter, it can be a shock to the system.
North Vancouver lawn bowlsNorth Vancouver lawn bowls
North Vancouver lawn bowls

without the beer or thongs


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb