I Still Haven’t Forgotten How to Ride a Bike


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
August 29th 2018
Published: August 30th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Totem PolesTotem PolesTotem Poles

The Totem Poles in Stanley Park.
We discovered last night that the hotel had some cycles that we can use for two hours for no cost. We had been planning to go to Stanley Park, which is very near to the hotel, and cycling seemed like an excellent way to see it.

There were only three cycles available at first so we did something else for what while and when we went back, perfect, there were four.

The park is a lot bigger than we were expecting and the cycle route around the perimeter is about 12km. By the time we had cycled round with stops at the totem-poles, for some photos and for a quick brunch, it was just about two hours on the nail.

It worked really well cycling in the park as there were separate paths for pedestrians, cyclists and cars. Where cyclists and pedestrians did need to use the same path, then cyclists were expected to get off and push. That was a good thing for us and for everyone who got near us. First of all, I have not been on a cycle since we hired some in Central Park in New York in 2012 (see A Trip to The Ghetto). Second the
BicycleBicycleBicycle

Look, no gear and no ‘normal’ brakes.
cycles themselves were kind of basic. They didn’t have any gears, but, more worryingly, they didn’t have any brakes. To stop you basically needed to peddle backwards. It is still true what they say about never forgetting how to ride a bike, but the whole brakes thing was not natural and none of us were completely confident in our ability to stop if we needed to.

The totem-poles were amazing. It also seems that autumn is starting as the colour of some of the trees are starting to change. Obviously getting ready for the long six months of snow.

In the afternoon we drove to a shopping centre in outer Vancouver, for reasons that I will not go into.

We noticed something unusual about Vancouver. In most cities the most lively areas tend to be where people work and then people live in more sedate areas. In Vancouver it seems to be the other way around. Central Vancouver is just full of apartment buildings. Hundreds of apartment buildings.

Given that it was so happening when we went there last night (see Falling Off a Bridge and This Time It’s For Real) we decided that we would go back to the Olympic Village area again in
Flags in Stanley ParkFlags in Stanley ParkFlags in Stanley Park

The flags of British Columbia, Canada and the UK.
the evening and for something to eat. I also took the opportunity for some more photographs.

We also drove back via Granville Island to have a quick look. This is an old industrial area (not actually an island), which was redeveloped into restaurants, art galleries and a market. Again, this seems like another good place to go out to in the evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Rogers StadiumRogers Stadium
Rogers Stadium

Viewed from the Olympic Village again.


Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.096s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb