Lotusland


Advertisement
Published: August 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Feels like we’re time travelers. Even though we are more than 500 km north here in Vancouver than we were at home in Ontario it feels like May. Or June. The white snowdrifts up to the windowsills have been replaced by an almost-as-complete covering of yellow daffodils. This west coast climate is not hard to take.

Perversely, we seemed to be magnetically drawn to the only snow in the greater Vancouver area the day before yesterday. We found ourselves on the cable car going up Grouse Mountain. Even at the top there were only patches of snow though. Great view of the “Lower Mainland” (gotta get into the local dialect y’know) and the state of Washington beyond. Should have been the state of Columbia. It was called the territory of Columbia until it became a state and the majority of the population at that time wanted it to be called the State of Columbia when it joined the union, but the federal government unilaterally decided it’s name would be Washington. Just to ensure that there would forever be confusion between Washington DC the city, and Washington the state I suppose. I digress. The point is that British Columbia was originally named to distinguish it from the American territory of Columbia.

We found our way to the Pacific in Tsawassen yesterday which turned out to be a bit of a feat. Thanks to the Lyseng family we found a path with intermittent stairs that switchbacked down the 50 metre embankment to the pebbly beach. Then walked along the beach to the American border, admiring the views of Georgia Strait and the surprisingly hilly islands beyond. Keith and Renee braved the cold and immersed a digit each into the ocean.

Other highlights so far: the aquarium and totem poles at Stanley Park, Chinatown and the Dr. Sun Yat Sen Chinese gardens, the Capilano pedestrian suspension bridge over the gorge, and the Riefel Bird Sanctuary.
Tomorrow we drive the Sea to Sky highway to Whistler…



Advertisement



13th March 2005

Snow
Hi guys. I've been north to Minden this weekend and the snow is about two and half feet deep. I could send you a picture of it if you are really missing the snow. - Paul Allore
14th March 2005

picture image
If you sort of look at the closest totem quickly, you can see my face in position 4. Sort of a moose with a green hat on! Hope your having a great time. Cheers, Rob - ROBERT D. M. TAYLOR
17th March 2005

Hope you are all well and having a great time. Just don't drink too much water unless it is well brewed. Frank - Frank Wick
19th October 2006

Vancouver
I have been to Vancouver and enjoyed it very much. I spent 1 month with my family there.

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0883s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb