Vancouver Island, from Victoria to Nanaimo...


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This is the second stop of our little North American discovery. We are North-West of Seattle on Vancouver Island. We first had to drive to Anacortes WA to take the ferry to Sidney...the one in BC,Canada!

The three hours ferry is a pretty lovely ride through the San Juan Islands. We saw dolphins, but couldn't spot any whales during the trip. Once in British Columbia, immigration was a smooth and frienndly affair. Welcome to Canada! It was followed by half an hour drive to our resort for two nights, the Bear Mountain Westin Resort. For the occasion, we are around 20 minutes out of town, deep into the woods of Victoria Island. The kids enjoyed some relaxing time after their long flight. It was also the opportunity for us to enjoy a fully equiped kitchen. Mari and I have been on the road for a full month, and it's nice to be able to cook a "homestyle" meal or two.

Don't forget we are next to the Pacific, so a homestyle meal here means scallops, halibut, more prawns and even more pacifc oysters....plus some pretty nice wine!

On my side, it was the time to enjoy some serious golf at the two courses of the Bear Mountain Golf Club designed by Jack Nicklaus...the first day was on for the seriously tricky Mountain Ccourse, and the second day the more conventional Valley course...both of these are clearly not for the average golfer. They are both offering a serious challenge with thousand of trees, lots of water and huge ups and downs.

We spent nearly a full day exploring Victoria. The city is a pretty cute affair, but what we enjoyed the most must have been the BC Provincial Museum right in downtown Victoria. The place is explaining very nicely the local culture, industry, flora and fauna as well as the past of the region. This is a not to be missed experience if you have curious children!

We did not take the boat ride to see the Orcas. The budget for this was over ours and what we were ready to spend. We still had a chance to spotthem on the ferry from Nanaimo to Vancouver, but that was a total failure for the whales spotting! Maybe next time!

We took hours to drive the 110km from Victoria to Nanaimo. The plan was to catch our ferry to the Continent ealry the next morning and have a good night sleep beforehand in Nanaimo. First stop out of victoria, the beach! We ended up making multiple beach stops on our way to Nanaimo. Here it was more about collecting seashells for Leslie and Tiffany. We also stopped in a small port, sadly I do not remember the name of the place.

We spent a good part of our afternoon in an adventure park. Leslie and Tiffany got their hands....and feet on the Monkido. This is a tree high adventure which includes ropes, bridges and zip-lines in the trees. Due to their side, they were on the kids adventure...just few meters above our amazed eyes.

Last night in Vancouver Island was in Nanaimo. Not really worth a blog by itlsef, the city is a pretty affair, but nothing really to remember about. Next morning we had an early ferry to Vancouver...but tha'ts next blog!

As always we are late on blogging, but you will get used to it!

With Love!


Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



6th August 2011

Happy boys !
Today I enjoy the blog because I can see you happy !!! Stay in this way !!!

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb