6th July 2008


Advertisement
Published: July 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

6th July 2008
This morning we checked out of the hotel around 9-15am to catch the train from Victoria to Ladysmith.When we arrived at the station we were very glad Amy had booked our tickets as the train was full , all tickets sold. It was full of two large parties of Japanese and the train only had two carriages.
It left promptly at 10.00 but the guard did not seem to mind stopping at odd intervals along the way out of Victoria to pick up stragglers.
It was a very scenic journey high up on the hillside overlooking lakes and thickly wooded trees. The small stations we stopped at had seen better days and most were falling down or boarded up. We pulled into Ladysmith Station, which was boarded up, at 12.15 and were met by Susan and Simon in their car. It was a long time since I had seen Susan and Simon and Bob last saw Susan at her 21st birthday. We all went back to their lovely three story house on Oyster Cove and had a cup of tea on the lower deck near the sea wall. While we were catching up on all the family news, an otter came up to the rocks and started fishing for crabs, then an osprey came cruising by and made several failed attempts to catch a fish. Both were a bit too far away for a good picture but were fascinating to watch.
Simon has been feeding a bald eagle he calls Eddie for the past few years so I am hoping to see him and his mate Liz tomorrow morning if I can wake up.
Amy, restless as usual despite an hour in the fitness room at the hotel, was ready for action so she and Richard went for a kayak trip round the bay while Simon took us on one of his favourite walks up the creek at the back of Ladysmith. We reached a lookout point with a good view over the cove and to the distant hills on Saltspring Island.
We all went to a pub (very English) with delightful gardens and good food for a meal with Simon and Susan. There we discussed plans for our trip to Tofino in the morning. The island has so much to offer it is difficult to know which activity or beautiful spot to go for in such a short time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.1105s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb