A Squamish Summer


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Squamish
August 16th 2010
Published: August 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Stawamus ChiefStawamus ChiefStawamus Chief

Blackberry picking and beer drinking under the Chief
I feel I should maybe set the scene a little for this chapter. On July 15th I flew from London to Vancouver with a 12 month working visa ready to be issued when I touched down at the airport. On my back I carried 24.5KG of bright yellow climbing rope, shiny new draws, a tent, camping gear, a couple of changes of underwear and a book. I had a plan that involved staying in Vancouver for one night at a friend of a friends sisters place (cos the original plan fell through) then getting a ride with another friend who was heading out to Squamish. Squamish is 60 mins North of Vancouver on the Sea to Sky Highway, with ocean to the left of you and mountains to the right. There lies the Stawamus Chief. A granite monolith that overlooks the highway and beckons all climbers to come and feel the cool, smooth granite. Jam your hands and feet in it's cracks and pull your way through all 16 or so odd pitches to the summit. And what with the 17 hours of daylight in the summer months what better way to spend your days I thought. And so that was the plan. And this is how I spent my days.

My new blue home was pitched at camp #70. Surrounded by trees, you had to be seriously lazy to stay in bed long enough for the sun to hit the tent. From 4am onwards it was light. Somewhere between 4am and 9am you got bored of hiding from the light in the depths of your sleeping bag, and finally at some point, probably at the first signs of sweat but more likely hunger you'd actually make it up. The dangers of staying in the tent too long and letting the sun cook you were never worth the extra hours of sleep you could get but really didn't need.

So on hearing the bear proof food lockers clanging as people started to prepare the most important meal of the day, and smelling the coffee as it mingled with the pine needles it was time to start another perfect day. Perfect days always start with blackberry pancakes made from the blackberries you just picked the day before, and coffee made by someone else. A lazy breakfast with no newspapers but climbing guides to give direction to your day. On a hot day my first choice would be bouldering. Escape the hot sun by climbing in the woods on boulders below the tree line. Powerful moves and shredded finger tips are equally met with boulders pumping out chilled air as you chill on the crash mat waiting for 6 other climbers to try the same move.

On a cooler day or just a day where I drank too much coffee I'd go and climb on the end of a rope. Continuos moves that put space between you and the ground, and fear and adrenaline in your bloodstream. Maybe a single pitch of clipping bolts, or maybe 6 pitches of pulling gear that had been plugged into that beautiful smooth, grey granite. The Chief has it all.

And when you get bored of the Chief, the lakes are beautiful, the rope swings are fun, the slack lines are always busy, the beer is brewed locally and bought in 1 litre bottles and the gelato in town is to die for.

By the time the sun goes behind the last mountain at 10pm you've had enough fun to last you a summer. So after a couple of rounds of cards you hit the sack so you can do it all again tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Jackie belayingJackie belaying
Jackie belaying

The view of Squamish town.
The view from the ChiefThe view from the Chief
The view from the Chief

....and a chipmunk
Rope ManagementRope Management
Rope Management

with twin ropes on the multi-pitch Hair Pin.


17th August 2010

sounds like fun
You make it all sound such fun & an idilic easy way of life .I think you have packed up your troubles in old kit bag ......and smile smile,smile.Glad you are having a fun time while you can & the weather is holding out.Take Care .Love Mum & Dad XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
20th August 2010

hello
Hi Hannah,just looked at your email,what beautiful pics and you write a good blog, it makes you want to be there. Continue having fun and keep safe, lots of love jan xxx

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 13; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb