Sproat Lake and Ucluelet


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Sproat Lake
August 20th 2016
Published: August 20th 2016
Edit Blog Post

I've had problems publishing blogs and got fed up with it so its been a while, sorry if you've been frustrated trying to open a "private" blog. You should now be getting open blogs.

So, we've had a great time so far with Larry & Judy. Liz and Judy have been exchanging NHS notes, just like us ex coppers swinging the lamp. HaHa!

Sunday L&J took us out sightseeing on the lake in their cruiser for several hours, admired lots of very expensive houses including those with float plane garages! The lower part of the lake was pretty busy with boats taking advantage of the fab weather. Up the Taylor Arm it was quiet and peaceful. We finished with a swim off a friends dock and beers and nachos at the Fish and Duck Pub, magic.

Tuesday we drove down to see Lower Qualicum Falls, very picturesque. We had a picnic lunch at Qualicum Beach, a nice coastal town on the inner passage between the mainland and the island. A bit like Portishead I suppose but with sunshine.

Wednesday we drove 70 miles to Ucluelet on the Pacific coast for two nights. It's a touristy fishing port on the Pacific Rim nature reserve. Fantastic pristine scenery with a number of excellent, almost deserted beaches. We visited Long Beach and today Florencia Beach. The sand was red hot and the Pacific was icy cold. Stayed in the Bayshore Waterfront Inn, where Dave and Sue Derrick stayed last year, very nice. overlooking the small craft harbour. Watched the otter swimming around the dock.

Liz particularly wanted to do a whale watching trip so we booked one on a large, fast inflatable/rib that took us down to Bamfield about an hour away. Exhilarating ride culminating in spotting 3 humpback whales. one did a display of fin slapping, breaching, tail slapping and spinning around. seemed he/she did it just for fun. Spectacular when you realize it was about 35tons dripping wet! Unfortunately my little camera couldn't do them justice.

We ate out both nights, first at Hanks Untraditional BBQ where we had pulled pork and Brisket and last night at the Cedar Grille. Both were excellent.

I'll blog again in a few days when we're on the mainland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0698s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb