The Foreland and Omineca Belts


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Revelstoke
September 20th 2009
Saved: September 15th 2021
Edit Blog Post

One of the great things about studying geology in Alberta is the opportunity to take field trips into the Canadian Rockies. For one of my classes, we had to spend the weekend going on a transect from Calgary to Revelstoke, and then back again.

We left campus at noon on a sunny fall Friday, and it took us about three or four hours to get to Banff (normally about a one hour drive) because of all the geology stops on the way. We didn't actually stop in Banff, but had a couple of stops west of there, before we had to high-tail it to Golden to get into town before the highway was closed for blasting.

The next morning was sunny again, and we climbed up above Golden for a view of the Rocky Mountain Trench blanketed in fog. One of our stops involved a quick hike up to some fossil-bearing rocks. It was great to be out in the mountains and the sunshine. Unfortunately, the clouds began rolling in as we approached Roger's Pass. The pass was mostly cloudy, although it cleared up for a few minutes, but by the time we got to the other side of the pass, it was rainy again. The sun came out again at Revelstoke for our last stop of the day, up at the dam.

Sunday was a long day, with more time driving back to Calgary than looking at rocks. Roger's Pass was not as cloudy, but it was whiter, because Saturday's rain turned to snow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom

"Viewpoint" "Viewpoint"
"Viewpoint"

I think if you're going to go to the trouble of building a nice viewpoint, you should keep the view clear.


Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb