Tofino & Ucluelet


Advertisement
Published: January 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

On the way to TofinoOn the way to TofinoOn the way to Tofino

In the background is islands of the USA & Canada. Some of this bit of the ocean was frozen.
On Wednesday Danielle and I left in the morning for a town called Tofino, on a peninsula sticking out into the Pacific Ocean. Tofino is on Vancouver Island but still takes 5 hours to get there. The weather wasn't brilliant but we stopped and did a hike on the way to view some large trees. There is lots of snow still about on parts of the drive but hardly any in Tofino. Tofino is a hippie/surfie town, even in winter. It was a lot smaller/less commercialised than we had thought. We stayed in a cottage overlooking the ocean. On the first day we just wandered around the town and found something to eat. On the second day we went on (another) hike in the rain, this time to Long beach. We then drove up the coast a little furthur and checked out another area of Long beach. After lunch we drove to Ucluelet (about 45minutes, windy and hilly) and looked at the town, although we didn't get out of the car into the pouring rain. When we got back I went for a run while Danielle stayed at the cottage. That night we went out for dinner, Danielle nearly died eating her spicy seafood dish but otherwise it was a great meal. Today we got up relatively early and had breakfast at our favourite cafe before heading back to Victoria. The drive seemed even longer this way but we got back eventually. The weather is about the same here, rainy and quite windy. Meows was very glad to see us arrive back. We do not have too much planned over the weekend. Next week on Tuesday we will travel back to Vancouver by car, ferry and then bus and stay a night in the CBD. Danielle's dad has managed to get us free Canuck's tickets so it looks like I will be going to my first ice hockey game. Apparently it is hard to get the tickets cheap, let alone free (think All Black's test) so I think we are quite lucky. The next day we will travel to the airport and I will get on a 14 hour flight back home to Auckland and then back down to Palmerston North. I've had a great trip so far, and managed to visit lots of places in Canada & the states. I will update this blog either at the airport or when I am back home again.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb