Snow, Lake Louise & Emerald Lake


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Field
May 22nd 2016
Published: January 13th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We woke up this morning at the Columbia Icefields discovery hotel to it snowing outside! Steph had commented five minutes earlier about the weather app on her phone saying it was lying because it said it was snowing. I opened the curtains to see it slowly coming down. We packed up and checked out of the hotel about 8.45 and set off. Excitement at the snow soon faded when the realisation set in that in the mountains when it snows generally it's pretty foggy and the cloud is low. In fact so low we could barely see the hugely magnificent mountains either side of the road and ahead of us! We realised that whilst we were driving on what has been voted one of the top ten scenic drives in the world that it didn't matter cause we couldn't see a thing! Things got worse when the pretty snow turned into rain!! Full lights and fog lights were turned on and we motored on along the Icefields parkway.

We had researched and planned to stop at the viewpoint for peyto lake. We came across the turn off and by this point it was full on snowing again. We followed a coach up to the parking lot and saw lots of Asian tourists get off who then started a full on snowball fight as it was the first time they had seen snow. We got ready for the snow putting on ski jackets, hats and gloves and for me my ski trousers! We had both bought some in preparation for the trip but as we checked the weather before we left the uk it didn't seem that wintry so Steph left hers at home but I brought mine. It was time to don the full on ski outfit! The trousers were very comfy and warm and I even threatened to put the braces on at one point!

All layered up we left the car to head on the 10 minute trek to the viewpoint. We had also brought some slip on crampon style things for our shoes for walking on ice and snow. Out those came too and we smugly walked on fine past the people slipping and sliding in their trainers. Going up a small hill was a bit tricky but we got through ok. After walking for 15 minutes we came to an opening and some wooden platforms. Expecting to see the beautiful turquoise blue peyto lake down below in the valley we could see absolutely nothing but cloud. Visibility was probably about 15-20 metres maximum! We were pretty disappointed but took a few photos anyway in the snow with the alpine background which was pretty in its own way. We then spent the rest of the time walking back messing around pushing each other in the knee high and sometimes thigh high snow just off the icy path! Steph got stuck and landed flat on her face which was funny.

Once back at the car we carried on and arrived at Lake Louise about 1pm. We drove up to the Fairmont Chateau which overlooks the lake and were luckily to fund a car parking space. This weekend is a bank holiday weekend in Canada so there are more people about than normal. We walked to the lake and it was now raining. The water looked a blue colour in places but it was hard to see as it was so murky grey everywhere else. We decided to go inside the hotel and have lunch. This was the beginning of the most expensive day so far! After yesterday's fiasco we fancied treating ourselves so waited for a table in the lake view lounge. We were given a pager so we could go wandering around the shops inside the hotel and be buzzed when the table is ready. Luckily it wasn't too long before it buzzed as the shops were way out of our price range! We sat at a table overlooking the lake where it appeared a lot more blue. Steph had a bean and lentil stew with rice and a naan bread and I had confit chicken sandwich with a small soup. The meal was lovely and whilst we started off with diet cokes we ended with a liquor coffee and a baileys hot chocolate raspberry cocktail which were gorgeous! After venturing outside for more photos and with the rain slowing it slightly we got back in the car to head to Lake Louise village. We drove past what looked like a small retail park with s few shops before realising it was in fact the 'village'. We weren't too impressed and by now it was about 3pm. Our hotel was 20 mins away at Emerald Lake a Lodge so we headed over there to try and check in early. We've never failed at this yet. We find if you just saunter up to check in and act a bit dumb asking what time check in is they will usually find a room and check you in early. I don't think it's ever failed!

The road up to emerald lake was quite long and then we came to a turn off saying overnight hotel guest parking do turned in there and parked the car. There was a sign to dial 0 and the bell boy would come and transport us and our luggage to the lodge! Steph dialled it and two mins later a man came in a minibus. We piled in with our luggage and five mins later were crossing the bridge to the lodge almost running over a load of tourists on the way. After checking in we found our lodge was right at the end by the forest. We didn't think it was too far do declined help with our bags. Big mistake we had to wheel them about 400 metres up hill! After dumping the bags in the room and a quick change we decided to go down to check out the lake and have a drink. As it was still raining this led to a few photos, a five minute look at the lake and a 75 dollar bottle of red wine! After the wine we decided to stay for dinner and had a two course meal followed by some liquor coffees. Before we knew it we had spent 4 hours relaxing and drinking! On the way back to the lodge we visited the hot tub which was outside at 40 degrees with the rain bickering down. Luckily we were prepared and had taken out swimming costumes on the way down. Back at the lodge Steph decided to try and light the fireplace that we have in our room. She managed to light it but I heard wailing from my bath of her saying it had gone out and she didn't know how to 'manage fires!'

There is no tv or wifi in our room so no random watching of CNN or a programme called 48 hours about police working murder cases within the first 48 hours which we've become fans of (yes I know - lovely!). Instead out came the iPads and we both watched some programmes before turning in for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb