The Freezing of Fernie


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Fernie
November 23rd 2007
Published: November 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

HalloweenHalloweenHalloween

Halloween
Anne and I have been relatively quiet over the last few weeks. Fernie is starting to ice over, although there has only been a single day when there has been any snow on the ground in town, in any great measure. Last week we received a few inches of snow. It happened to be the very day I sat for my BC Driving License. Visitors to Canada have only 6 months in which their foreign drivers license is valid. Owning a car also meant that insurance in invalid if your not legally licensed.

So I had 6 months in which to perform the test. 3 months of Summer. I did it on the coldest, and most slippery day of the year. No snow the day before, and rain washed all of the snow away the day after. Luckily I passed, probably not through any great skill - it's just an easy test.

Anne studied alot harder than I did (she actually read the book), and then found out she only had to renew her previous license from '87 with a signature and a photo. What a hoot.

Anne has been keeping herself busy doing some charity works here and
HalloweenHalloweenHalloween

Anne starting to Freeze
there - wrapping presents for children's charities and volunteering with the Salvo's to collect donations.

Since we last met, Halloween has passed, and Anne did a fine job of scarying up the place. We also had enough candy to feed a small African nation. Luckily we had hordes of little goblins, who were not shy in taking as much as they could get. These guys get so much candy, they needed to go home to empty their pillow cases of candy multiple times. Our Favorite as a young enterprising man who was dressed to the nines, announcing himself as the coordinator.

I have become a monster in terms of running. It seems the colder it gets, the more I run. Today was a 10 miler @ -10 degrees C. It only hurts for the first 10 minutes. Achieving about 50 miles per week, 6 days per week. Loving it, but I am losing too much weight. Time for some more Ice Cream!

We went to an Ice Hockey game last week with Ian and Corrie. Totally cool. GhostRiders (Team Fernie) were playing Beaver Valley. We had so much fun. I have never been to a game before,
HalloweenHalloweenHalloween

Anne's home made Halloween pumpkin
and it seemed like the players were more interested in killing each other than caring about getting the puck through the goalie. Ghostriders won 5-3, with the last point won in the last few seconds of the final period. It reminded me of the movie Rollerball with James Caan.

Whilst there is very little snow here. The temperatures are freezing all the streams and rivers. Ice is building up everywhere, even on my running top when it's drying. We are a bit concerned about the Ski season though. It kicks off in less than 3 weeks, and there ain't nearly enough snow on the mountain. I'm sure that will change within the next week or so.

It feels like we have truly settled in now. You guys in Australia are probably voting about now. From a distance it seems like Rudd is a shoe in. I guess we will find out in the next 24 hours. It lovely not to be bombarded with all of that political advertising. I can't remember the last time I heard Johnny's voice. What a relief that has been. Not to mention Costello, Downer, etc. It's also been a blessing to miss out
Ice HockeyIce HockeyIce Hockey

Fernie GhostRiders
on the likes of Tracy Grimshaw (Shudder) and the rest of those self promoting pompous anchor people.

As a matter of fact, Anne and I have been so out of touch with World events, and the negativity it generates, it seems like we are living in an alternate world.

Anyhow, I hope you are all well and hope to hear from you soon!






Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Ice HockeyIce Hockey
Ice Hockey

Fernie GhostRiders
Ice HockeyIce Hockey
Ice Hockey

Fernie GhostRiders
SnowSnow
Snow

First snow fall of the season - it had all disappeared the following day.
SnowSnow
Snow

First snow fall of the season
It's ColdIt's Cold
It's Cold

Even my running top doesn't have a chance to dry before freezing over. As stiff as a board.


Tot: 0.427s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1825s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb