Endless Powder


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Blue River
January 7th 2008
Published: February 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Monashee New Year 08

Happy New Years Everyone,

Every wonder what kind of unique experience you can bring the new year in with? Well I think I found one that will be pretty hard to beat in my books.

Assemble 14 friends that all share a common interest in the deep fluffy white stuff. Find a cool little winter cabin at 6500’ in the Monashee Mountain Range, interior BC that can accommodate us all. Add copious amounts of that sweet dry champagne powder that the interior is famous for, and what you get is one unforgettable week.

We rented a backcountry hut that took all our food and gear in by snowcat and then left us to our own power. There was no one else for miles around the entire week. Backcountry touring for snowboarders like myself means using a snowboard that ‘splits’ into a set of skis used for going uphill, and then reassembles when you get to the top. The freedom that a splitboard allows you in accessing the backcountry is amazing. Although it is much slower than other forms of backcountry access, it is definitely the most rewarding since every vertical foot you ride is earned by your sweat and determination. Backcountry skiing is all about getting off the beaten track of the ski resort and getting fresh lines every time without the rush that a ski hill demands. And riding untracked lines in the Monashee’s snow was an entirely different experience altogether.

When we arrived there was a 3 meter base and about 50cm of fresh white just waiting. Over the next four days it snowed at least another 25cm. It was deep, light and bottomless; the conditions you dream about. And it was unanimous, all 14 of us agreed that this was by far the best snow we had skied in our lives.

Wanna know another huge bonus? Having a snowcat that bring in all our gear/food/BOOZE to make that week even more memorable. And with 14 of us, we only had to cook one meal the entire week! Needless to say it was a blast to hang out with a group of that size in the middle of nowhere - nothing but amazingly good skiing by day and hilarity by night. Whether it be some intense games of cards, or some good old fashion get’er done’ drinking, we had a blast.

What more can I say? Let the pictures tell the rest of it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Snowcat StopSnowcat Stop
Snowcat Stop

Admiring the scenery.
Typical Alpine WeatherTypical Alpine Weather
Typical Alpine Weather

It never cleared up in the entire week, making it difficult to access the alpine.


12th February 2008

You suck
Get a job you hippie.
14th February 2008

Spit out of a Barrel
Nice to see life has changed so dramatically for you up there. Looks like sweet times for sure but pretty damn cold. P.S. I hate you Cheers dave

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0698s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb