Dinosaurs! (by Cole)


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta
June 14th 2016
Published: June 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

World's Largest DinosaurWorld's Largest DinosaurWorld's Largest Dinosaur

This is outside the visitor center in Drumheller, Alberta.
I woke up and we unhooked the Jeep from the RV and split up. Me and Mom went with the Jeep and Dad and Liam went with the RV. Me and Mom went geocaching and Dad and Liam went to meet us at a dinosaur museum in Alberta. We went in and started in an artificial forest and saw Albertosaurus and Triceratops and some smaller dinos. I went a little fast, then we saw water dinos and then we went through some kind of time portal, then we went to the cafe and then we split up again. Me and Mom took the Jeep again and Liam and Dad took the RV. Me and Mom went to find more earth geocaches and hoodoos and went to mines.

***Mom's note: The museum was the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology, arguably one of the best "dinosaur museums" to which we have been. They have over 150,000 specimens, including many never before discovered. This part of Alberta is a hotbed of fossil finds for many reasons.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Wary CowWary Cow
Wary Cow

This young lady was watching Cole the entire time he was finding and logging a cache.
Little ChurchLittle Church
Little Church

It seats six.
Stangerochampsa mccabeiStangerochampsa mccabei
Stangerochampsa mccabei

One of three alligator species to be found in Alberta.
A guy was taking a walk . . .A guy was taking a walk . . .
A guy was taking a walk . . .

and found a brand new species of dinosaur, now named after him. Meet Regaliceratops peterhewsi.
Black BeautyBlack Beauty
Black Beauty

This is a complete skeleton of Tyrannosaurus rex, with the original skull at the bottom right. It is black because of the presence of manganese in the water during fossilization.
Prep LabPrep Lab
Prep Lab

There were at least a few people working on fossils in this area. It must be very tedious work.
Grandma?Grandma?
Grandma?

This is a magnified painting of a Pikaia, a creature with a stiff rod in its back, making it one of the earliest members of our phylum.
GiantGiant
Giant

According to the Museum, these are the fossilized remains of the world's largest-known marine reptile, the ichthyosaur Shonisaurus sikanniensis. It is 30% larger than any previously known ichthysoaur, with a head that is 3 meters long!
My FavoriteMy Favorite
My Favorite

There were some really bizarre creatures. This is Chasmosaurus belli.
ChampsosaurChampsosaur
Champsosaur

Liam got a kick out of this one with lunch.


Tot: 0.262s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.2401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb