Welcome to Bear Country


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta
August 2nd 2008
Published: August 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

I've seemed to have lost track of what day I'm writing about - that's a good sign I think.

From our first night in Alberta - we drove straight to Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump. A place where the Plains Indians would drive bison over the cliff for large kills. So much history, so much information, and all so close to one of the biggest windfarms in Canada in pincher creek. We saw how great a spot for the wind farm it was since it was so windy and gusty...such a beautiful place. Jesse says you could feel the presence of the first nations and pervious societies here - we felt that history - mixed with our current tourist-based society as the place was absolutely packed....we had to get out of there after 1.5 hours.

Then we drove towards the rockies. The first sight of the mountains in the distance kinda came out of no-where and was quite thrilling...the feeling of being "almost there" may have been more exciting then actually seeing the mountains...that is until we got closer and saw them in all their awesomeness.

We did a little searching for a nice campsite. After driving for a couple of hours in the foothills we came upon Peter Lougheed provincial park. The attendant at the park office was not sure we would find a site to pitch our tent on but with a little searching we stumbled upon a beautiful walk in site that was on the shores of one of the park's lake. Although it was windy and cold the view was worth any discomfort. For two days we had and amazing view of lakes, forests and snow capped mountains. Our first Alberta camping experience was definitely one of the highlights of the trip so far.

We are writing this from our fancy hotel room in Lake Louise, thanks to Jesse's parents who insisted that we go and enjoy some luxury before returning to our nylon chateau. Today we did a half day hike around Lake Louise with a guide and 10 other hotel guests, it was definitely worthwhile to get some instruction, tips and more information about bears - now that I know a bit more about the teddy's around here I am a lot less concerned we will become dinner.

We have this guide book for hikes called "Don't waste your time in the Canadian Rockies"...There are so many hikes we want to do in it and not enough time so we are picking a few key ones out tonight and planning to spend the next 3 days in Banff and Jasper National Parks heading up North.

This hotel thing is going down really well....we may have to indulge more often. Loving hiking though, and our new shoes are really helping make it more comfortable. Can't wait to see where else the new shoes take us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



4th August 2008

Oh My God
Okay so I am officially super super jealous - wow you guys seem to be having an amazing time. I'm not even going to comment on Chateau Lake Louise. Well I am having an amazing time here in toronto...eating...and being hot...and working...um... Im going to the cottage next weekend and for a few days of next week so that's all good. Plus this weekend was long and it was good to just do nothing. Although I wish I could get out of the city. All those lake/sunset shots of yours are really making me feel a bit bitter towards you. How's the food? Lots of tim hortons? Miss you both. Hil

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb