Ink pots


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta
September 28th 2007
Published: November 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We had a pretty unstructured day today, recovering from the big roadtrip the day before and preparing for the big drive home the next day. Jono and I were considering climbing again, but the weather took a substantial dive for the worse. We decided to all go for a bit of a drive and do a few little walks close to where we were staying. I am really foggy on detail here, to the point that I can not even remember the name of the road we traveled on, but we went through Banff and Kootenay parks. (Maybe Richard or Marilyn can write in and add a few more details???)

The features of the day that I remember were the amazing limestone canyon that we walked along, and the ink pots: natural ochre ponds. These were amazing, and even more so because I had not read anything about them and had no built up expectations. I just thought we were pulling into a random car park to do a little random circuit walk through a bit of park. I thought the ink pots were maybe just going to be spring water ponds. The colours were absolutely amazing, and further demonstration of how varied Nature is. If you didn't know otherwise, you would think it was a polluted stream. Funny how it is beautiful when you know it is natural but if it were due to pollution, it would be horrible.

Richard got into the spirit of things, and painted his face with some of the ochre, which caused a few strange looks as we walked back to the car.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0804s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb