Revelstoke to Field


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta
June 2nd 2018
Published: June 3rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

This morning we enjoyed the best Canadian breakfast of our trip so far. Our host really ensured that we began our journey with very full stomachs! Today we were heading to Field, a distance of 200 km and we would pass through 3 different National Parks.

Our first park was Mount Revelstoke National Park, where we drove up the Meadows in the Sky Parkway as far as the 4th viewpoint, with views over Revelstoke and The Columbian river. The higher viewpoints were still closed due to snow, but in summer at the summit, there is a sub alpine wild flower meadow.



We continued along Highway 1, stopping at 2 of the low level rainforest trails - Skunk Cabbage and Giant Cedar. The 1st trail was on a boardwalk through Columbian mountain wetland, with huge Skunk Cabbage plants not yet in flower. The 2nd trail was a stepped boardwalk through very old huge red cedar and hemlock forest trees.

Next we entered Glacier National Park, but most of the trails here were still closed due to snow, so we only stopped at Hemlock Grove, where we spied a ground squirrel in the undergrowth. The views of the Rockies were now coming into sight. We stopped at Rogers Pass Discovery Centre to buy our Park passes, which are required to stop at any of the trails, viewpoints etc. in the various parks. From here we drove through the spectacular Rogers Pass, passing through road tunnels and gasping as the panorama opened up in front of our eyes.

After stopping for fuel in Golden, we entered the YoHo National Park and arrived in Field, having crossed into a different time zone and losing a hour of our day! We are staying in another inn here and again we are near the railway lines. We checked into our room, looked out of the window and there was the Rocky Mountaineer. It stopped for about half an hour, during which time another 2 huge freight trains passed through. This inn has it's own bistro, so after a lovely meal we drove to Emerald Lake. Wow the lake was truly beautiful, a lovely blue green colour and it was so peaceful there, we loved it.

Tomorrow we are heading to the famous Lake Louise.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

2 red chairs2 red chairs
2 red chairs

These are found at viewpoints in the National Parks


Tot: 0.551s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb