Grassi Lakes


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Canmore
September 23rd 2007
Published: October 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We were all pretty wiped out today from our epic car trip the day before so we did not set very ambitious plans for the day. It was awesome waking up to near-360 degree views of snow capped mountains. I love arriving somewhere in the dark, to have it reveal itself to you in the morning as though you have just magically teleported there.

I think I recall a fairly easy, relaxed slow breakfast. Then we went for a drive to Grassi Lakes, a park just out of town Canmore and went for a bit of a walk up the hill. I was aching to get some exercise after sitting in the car all day the day before, so I was jogging at walking pace next to Jonno. Something I regretted the next day, as I was not really wearing the best shoes for such antics and suffered for it a bit. The top of the trail featured two hanging lakes - amazing clear bright blue pools, and, some pocketed overhung limestone, which got Jono and I got very excited. I have never seen so many pockets in a cliff before, it was just like an outdoor gym.

We then went for a big drive looping through a few different Provincial Parks, which I failed to write down and can not be bothered looking up right now. But it was a great sample of the scenery on offer. Views of sweeping planes of gold and purple and red and mountains disappearing into clouds were punctuated with native wildlife 'spottings'. We saw deer, big horn sheep and elk. We even saw a moose from a distance. And then on the way home we stopped at a lake and saw a beaver. It was like they were all coming out to say hello to us as snow white as that sounds. Was it snow white who had all the animals come and talk to her and sit on her shoulders?




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

RichardRichard
Richard

in front of the same lake of which I am too lazy to work the name out
ElkElk
Elk

A mother and baby
ElkElk
Elk

A little closer
See the white dots?See the white dots?
See the white dots?

They are Moose horns. Really, they are.
Smoking mountainsSmoking mountains
Smoking mountains

One of about 100 photos that we now have of mountains.


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb