Warm Days in the Rockies


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Canmore
June 8th 2018
Published: June 27th 2018
Edit Blog Post

June 8 Benchland Trail, Canmore

Warmth bathed us from our morning start to our afternoon departure. While the best of Skrastins Club hikers tackled the steepness of Lady MacDonald, my group of less ambitious walkers strolled along the lower Benchland Trail. Pine trees still sported bright new tips. Aspen leaves twinkled in the pale sunshine. Dandelions have colonized the trail edges, interrupted by white flashes of a few tiny flowers. Columbines stretched their bowed heads above the leafy carpets.



June 15 Sundance Canyon, Banff

With the threat of rain, yet the sight of bright blue sky between puffy white clouds, I set off fully protected by rain pants, waterproof jacket, and wide brimmed hat.

To promote better access for lots of people, the path was paved for quite some distance. The Bow River marshland startled us with views from the tiny plants to the majestic mountains, full of shadows and sparkling highlights. Spring flowers distracted us from our walking. Lots of wild strawberry blooms promise delights for the bears in the summer.

At the picnic area, most of us took off our jackets and fleeces in preparation for the rocky path up the Sundance Canyon. Every twist in the path opened onto dancing views of the rushing water and the deadfall trees. For one moment a micro sun shower brought sparkles to the air, like exquisite confetti blessing the creek. As we reached the top, the path veered into the woods, confusing my sense of direction for a while. We padded faithfully on the matted pine needles until a series of steep hair-pin turns took us down to the creek again and the picnic tables. Fortunately, there was also a shelter, which we needed for the lunch-time rain storm. We geared up to continue our walk in the rain, only to discover that the sound we still heard was the chuckling of the creek. All the plants glittered with water diamonds water designed by nature.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Nature's geometryNature's geometry
Nature's geometry

Lovely, perhaps deadly to the plant?
Wild ClematisWild Clematis
Wild Clematis

Delicate, yet hardy
ArnicaArnica
Arnica

Yellow always my favourite
Wild RoseWild Rose
Wild Rose

Perfection of the single rose
Strawberry bloomsStrawberry blooms
Strawberry blooms

... lead to bears
Spring tipsSpring tips
Spring tips

All young are cute!
Green blooms Green blooms
Green blooms

That's what they looked like.
Sundance CanyonSundance Canyon
Sundance Canyon

... and Creek
Sundance CreekSundance Creek
Sundance Creek

Rushing pleasure!
Polished creek stonesPolished creek stones
Polished creek stones

Sundance Creek
Bow RiverBow River
Bow River

Afternoon reflections


28th June 2018

A new canyon
Well,new to me. I don't think I've ever been in Sundance Canyon. It's lovely, judging by your photos.
2nd July 2018

Not a new canyon
Quite an easy hike with good access. Try it one day.
28th June 2018
Ahh! Blue sky and puffy clouds!

Oh Canada
Pristine
2nd July 2018
Ahh! Blue sky and puffy clouds!

Oh Canada
One of my favourite scenes!

Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.1275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb