Spring visit to the Rockies


Advertisement
Published: June 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

When:Victoria Day weekend

Where: Rockies

Highlights: stays at hostels, snow, just be-ing



Saturday, May 19th

This trip was so last minute, but we didnt want to cancel it as we hadn't been to the Rockies yet in Spring. For a change, we did not have an agenda. We just drove. Being long weekend, we expected crowds. Only when we stopped at the Lake Louise visitor center did we know that it was the highest snow in 50 years. Phew!

Seeing the weather in Calgary, we thought it was a bad winter in terms of the amount of snow.



After spending a while at the visitor center(the exhibits are informative), G picked up an explorer book. A set of stuff that S needs to know to get that badge. I told him that she is an explorer already but G was determined.😊 And he did not stop with that. He spent time with her over various animals footprints. From then on, she saw a cougar video and shouted cougar for everything. If I don't hike fast, "Cougar would come".

Without much warning S fell asleep as soon as we hit
The painted potsThe painted potsThe painted pots

Kootenay National park
N at the Icefields Parkway. It was windy and cold. We stopped by the crowfoot glacier. There was still a lot of snow on the ground and we finished our packed lunch. And then we started doing something we have never done before. People-watching! 😊

We watched people feed wild birds people-food, watched some crazy youngsters dress in shorts and shiver in the same😊

We drove a little further up to Peyto Lake. Unfortunately, at least 2 ft snow. Peyto is one of the most beautiful lakes along the Icefield Parkway. So much snow still at road level. It was mostly quiet and beautiful.



At mosquito creek, we woke S and gave her lunch by the creek. And then we checked in at the hostel. We parked outside and walked our luggage. The 'welcome' board took me by surprise. I should've guessed. There is no water along the Icefield parkway. So, no showers. I felt fortunate to have a heater and so relieved realizing that I will have shower access the following evening. The hostel as such is fantastic and probably at the best location I know so far. Everything including the sauna and oven and fridge run on propane. There was at least 2 ft snow around the room. S's focus was elsewhere. The minute she saw the bunk beds, she hiked up and never came down. Until. Another family occupied the neighbouring room and they had a boy(slightly younger). She kept peeping into their room asking him to play. It was hard to put both of them to sleep at the end of a long day.




Sunday, May 20th

The next morning, We ate and packed up quickly. I was so glad to see running water at Lake Louise village.😊

After a short stop, we drove towards Kootenay National Park. Our first stop was Marble Canyon. Something that stuck me almost immediately was the forest. It seemed almost dead. Then I hear about the great fire of 2003.

Technically, Kootenay is in BC, but barely. So we did not bother changing time. Marble canyon was picture perfect. Better than the canyons I've seen so far(Maligne canyon and Johnston canyon). It was my first visit to the park and I was struck by the views. The mountains seemed closer and majestic. More so because it was my first time seeing them. It was quite a climb up the canyon to the waterfalls, but S made it with the help of squirrels, stick, puddles, logs, rocks, stones & stories about them.

A short drive later, we came to the Painted pots. I expected something like mud pots from Yellowstone, but these were pretty neat too. No boiling or bubbling. Just mineral spring. We met a family at the parking lot and they told it was like from another world. "Alienish". It was catchy enough to S and she did the hike. She was excited on seeing the red color. We walked slowly watching out for Aliens, but made it through safe. The pots were really cool. Seemed like the Indians used it for everything. They dried up the sand and powdered it and used it to color their vessels, teepees and even their faces. It is amazing how among all the space, minerals were found only in this small part of the park.We met some friends from Germany who were out on a camper van for 2 weeks. They had driven from Vancouver and were marvelled by whatever they had seen so far. Alps was not even close, they mentioned. Well!!!

Numa falls was the next stop. It was pretty neat and reminded me of Athabasca falls. Typical of any rocky mountain falls. The falls was rushing water down. There was stil a lot of snow in the mountains. It is a later season for sure.

We made it to Canmore within which S took a nap. At the visitor center, I gathered information and checked in to The Bear Hostel. It is a very posh hostel. A clean one too. S was immediately fascinated with bunk beds and knows by now that all hostels carry bunk beds.

The view was fantastic. We could see The Three Sisters from our window. It was slightly cold, but S wanted to bike. So we went out for a stroll. The place is hugely under-rated and way better than Banff in terms of crowd and space. We did not have huge plans. So crashed after dinner.




Monday, May 21st

In the morning, we checked out and went to Lions Park. Advised as one of the better parks in the area and S had so much fun. We did our share of stunts too. We wanted to check out the local chocolate factory, but it was closed. I hear they have a tour every tuesday. We went back to Main street to browse through the shops. More importantly, found a used book store where S felt happily settled. I loved walking through Main street. Canmore is known for its fine dining and boutique shops. It definitely is. Grabbed some home-made fudge and decided to head home as it started to shower. Eyed the Grassi lakes hike. Sometime shortly, hopefully.

It was a fun weekend and we all had great fun. Saw some stuff that we had never seen. And new ideas for future trip came to mind. Who knows which road will unfold next time!



~travelbuffs

The Earth does not belong to us; we belong to the Earth. - Unknown


Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Out-of-hostel viewsOut-of-hostel views
Out-of-hostel views

Icefield parkway


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb