The Canadian Rockies! Part 1


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Banff National Park
April 23rd 2009
Published: April 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Quick update

Drive to Banff was a long one. 8-9 hour round trip. But - totally worth it. The drive from Kamloops to Banff is one of the most scenic things I have ever experiened. It was jaw drop after jaw drop and got better and better. Stayed in Banff for a night ( got into the hotel at 12.30am) and got off next morning to Okotoks to visit my Cousin (who I haven't seen for nearly 18 years) and his new family for the night. A few days before they had their second child so I got to meet them all! Was fantastic. Brought my self a Cowboy hat as it is cowboy country, just south of Calgary.

Back to Banff next day - again a wonderful drive as your going into the Mountains as your drive. The drive to Okotoks wasnt great as you kinda hit flat country pretty quickly and its quite dull. Driving on otherside of the road is ok, with every so often either me or thomas shouting to the other "KERB!!!" after we vear right...

Been to Lake Minniewanka which was spectacular. Lake top was still frozen and we walked out onto it - pretty scary considering you hear many stories about ice just breaking and people falling through, was definately worth the risk.

Did a 2 and half hour trail this morning which was hard work. Sunny when we started windy, cold and snowing when we finished! Again the views were immense and totally worth the walk up.

Banff is a really nice town and the National Park is beautiful. The weather is completly random - yesterday was 19 c and really hot. Today it is about 7 C. Tomrrow it is -8 to 0 C. Quite drastic changes!

So far seen a bit of wildlife - groundhog, family of moutain goats, deers, squirrels and loads of birds. But alas NO bears. Although we crossed some pretty fresh bear prints today no luck of it being around =( (in hindsight though could be a good thing so we don't get attacked by one!)

Tomorrow we leave for Jasper for a night (maybe two) depending on how much we get done. Stopping at Lake Louise and the Columbian icefields on the way. Then back to Kamloops.

Will update my facebook pictures soon when i find a computer that it will work with!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.02s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1006.6kb