Bermuda


Advertisement
Bermuda's flag
North America » Bermuda
May 5th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post




Bermuda was discovered in 1609 by some British shipwrecked mariners. They were actually headed for Virginia when they had a bit of trouble. They ended up settling in Bermuda instead. Tourism started in the 19th century with people trying to escape the cold winters in North America, this has been the main factor in the economy until after WW2 when financial services started to grow. Finance is now the main industry with luxury tourism in second place. Bermuda has the highest per capita income in the world, even higher than America by a factor of 1.5. A referendum on independence from Great Britain was defeated in 1995, a further referendum is being considered.







The channel leading into the main cruise terminal area of Bermuda.




Residences.







Large House.






Looks like a wealthy area.






Marina.






Berth for our ship.








Our boat stirs up a bit of dirt.






Local laundry.






Our first view of the main street of Hamilton.






Guess where some of the British passengers spent their time.






City Hall.






They do have a very good bus service.






Guide book says that this is the most photographed item on the island. It is used to shade policemen on point duty.







Even the waste bins are flash.






Manchester United Supporter.






Mormon tabernacle.






Car washing Prohibited; I think this refers to those people who race up to clean your windscreen then ask for money.






Large residential block.






Main street of St George, a pleasant 40 minutes scenic ride on the bus.






Church.






Nice buildings.







Town Hall.








Some more rather nice buildings.






Could live here.






This preserved boat is the “Deliverance”.






Training ship by the name of Prince William.






Residential area.






Small but very well kept park.






We saw several examples of this type of archway.






Like the colours used for the buildings.






Scooters for hire; there are no cars for hire on the island.






Plenty of Restaurants, most food has to be imported but prices seemed reasonable.






That’s where I left it.






Colours on Main Street.






Water is collected and stored underground, you can see the special shaped roof to do this.






Ye Apothecary; thought I was back in New Zealand.








Ordinary housing, like the bright colours






Golf Club.






Last view of main street Hamilton, Bermuda.






Wish you’d move your boat.






Units or flats.






Lots of small islands some with homes.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb