Bermuda - Home of the Americas Cup 2017


Advertisement
Bermuda's flag
North America » Bermuda » Hamilton
April 27th 2017
Published: April 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Bermuda
26th April Hamilton



We berthed in The Royal Naval Dockyard, alongside the Norwegian Breakaway (4500 passengers) - it was going to be a busy one!!!



From when we arrived the queues were long to board the ferry to Hamilton a 30/40 minute ride across the Bay.



There is a lot of activity within the Dockyard because this year the USA are defending the Americas Cup.

The worlds best known yacht race.



From our balcony you could see each of the teams berths unfortunately the British team were furthest down the quay with the United States in prime position (being the defending champions).



We were hoping to get a glimpse of the BAR (Ben Ainslie Racing) team but the only teams that got onto the water were the US and NZ teams.



Watching the US boat Oracle skimming out in the Bay was pretty amazing, these boats seem to reach some crazy speeds.



Within the Dockyard area there is plenty to see and do, Hamilton tends to provide a wealth of shopping including guess what - Marks & Spencer!!!



The Wharf has the National Museum of Bermuda, a Craft Market and the Clocktower Shopping Mall.

There are plenty of cafes and even God forbid an English pub.



A pleasant walk around was interrupted by a light shower which cooled us.



Because of the Americas Cup there is a great deal of preparation being done for viewing platforms etc, not just in the Dockyard area but all around the Bay.



The nature of the racing is that it has become more of a spectator sport as the yachts race around a very tight course.



Sailaway was pretty amazing, the deep water channel zig zags as you leave the Dockyard and it takes an hour or so before you drop the pilot off.



Final word on the Americas Cup



'Come on Ben and bring the cup home'!!!!



Hooray up to date, one more port before Southampton!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 28; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb