Enchanting Ephesis


Advertisement
Middle East
November 12th 2009
Published: December 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

“Gunaydin” (Good Morning) from KUSADASI TURKEY

I was most anxious to return to Kusadasi, (which means “Bird Island”), but not just because I’m a birdwatcher…My fascination is with the ancient archeological ruins at nearby Ephesis.

Those clever Romans ! Their advanced infrastructures and sophisticated architecture, water systems, progressive culture, hygienic and medical knowledge, is always remarkable to actually see ….up close and personal. Tenth grade ancient history comes alive. (Can I really remember that far back ?? now that could bring us into a whole new definition of ”ancient”)

As we know, many of the truly ancient sites of the world were developed during the Roman Era…and they must have been pretty good builders…… since so many preserved artifacts remain, even through all the centuries of wars, pillaging and earthquakes. Too bad their civilization fell; it must have been something !

Ephesis is one of the grandest, best preserved and renovated of these ancient sites. (I can’t help but wonder what the future civilizations might think of the technological advancements of our 20th and 21st centuries.)

As we strolled through the 10th century B.C.E marble streets, viewing the 3000 year old restored temples, houses of noblemen, shops and public areas with our informative guide, we could easily imagine the chariots driving through the streets to the Agora (market place) and then making their way to the vast theatre or to the Library.

And before I forget, the day before, on the ship, we met up with our travelling friends, the Molots, Paikins and Habers.

Shirley & Michael and Barb & Rob are in the pictures…Like us, the Habers had been here before ( but naturally, only I was compelled to return a second time…..not surprised, are you? ) …But more about that Hamilton/Toronto infamous group later !

So here is something new and exciting in Ephesis that I had not seen before….the newly excavated “Terrace Houses” . Really amazing to view the architecture of these 5000 square foot structures, that were built like stacked townhouses . The in- progress excavation is cleverly revealed with plexiglass floors and painstakingly restored marble wall panels.

This was truly a remarkable excavation site …and another reminder of the skillful builders and architects of this civilization.

Perhaps the best restored and well known building at Ephesis is the library…so grand and exciting to observe.
Interestingly, it was just across from the brothel; perhaps allowing the males a one-stop-stop for intellectual as well as physical pursuits ?

On that note, I’ll leave you to view the pictures, except to say that I did find a very good bargain (Hayir Pahali) in Kusadasi at a great little leather store (Thanks for the recommendation Joni ). Am always on the lookout for shopping ops as well as photo ops.

For now “Allahaismarladik” (farewell ) from fabulous Turkey.
as we look forward to a leisurely day at sea and then our next port, Rhodes, Greece

Till then, lots of love.
Harvey and Lindsay





Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb